UKC

Sardinia - October - Climbing and family holiday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stevieb 23 May 2022

Hi, looking for advice on a trip to Sardinia in October. Friends of mine are going on a climbing trip and I’m wondering whether I can combine it with a family holiday. The (teenage) kids will be happy with some climbing but probably not all the time.

So can anyone give any advice re; is Sardinia warm enough for a beach or tourist holiday in October? Is there still plenty open or are a lot of the bars, restaurants etc closed by then? Is Cala Gonone good for a general holiday or would you recommend anywhere else nearby? And if you’ve got any specific recommendations that would be great too. 
Thanks 

snoop6060 24 May 2022
In reply to stevieb:

I might be going against the grain here but I wouldn’t rate Cala Gonome for either! I thought the climbing was mostly a bit meeeh and all there is to do apart from that is sit on the beach. Which is admittedly nice but not my cup of tea. 

stubbed 24 May 2022
In reply to stevieb:

I agree with Snoop. I think we went in September or late Summer and while it was hot enough for sunbathing, it was empty of tourist & with little atmosphere. Good for climbing but a bit dead otherwise. 

PaulJepson 24 May 2022
In reply to stevieb:

Seemed nice enough around there, and a lot of options. Depending on your grade, I'd recommend Marinaio di Foresta (6a+) as a big adventure day. 

The one thing about the weather is The Mistral. I don't know if it's about later in the year but we went in May and the first 3 days were absolutely Baltic. After that it was shorts and t-shirt weather. 

montyjohn 24 May 2022
In reply to stevieb:

Make sure you have food to hand if you are there on a Sunday. I was there in March, about 10 years ago, and we couldn't find a single shop open and basically didn't eat all day.

OP stevieb 24 May 2022
In reply to snoop6060:

Thanks. Happy with all opinions to help make my mind up. I was concerned that Cala Gonone might be a bit too sleepy for non-climbers. 

OP stevieb 24 May 2022
In reply to PaulJepson:

Thanks for the recommendation. Looks like a good target and the right sort of grade. 

Seymore Butt 24 May 2022
In reply to stevieb:

I stayed in the Tortoli/Arbatax area which is about 50k south of Cala Gonome in mid Sept 2008. The weather at the time was perfect, hot but bearable. Nice beaches, plenty of restuarants/bars, check it out on Google Maps. I was on a mainly walking holiday but I managed to get a days climbing in the Ullassi/ Jerzu region about 20k inland from Tortoli which was very good, with lots of crags to go at. I'm assuming you will be hiring a car.

What we did notice though on our last day a lot of the beach bed companies were packing up for the season, so what it will be like in October is anyones guess.

KA 24 May 2022
In reply to stevieb:

We went to Cala Gonone last November and experienced quite a bit of rain, that was probably down to bad luck, though. On the good days, we got out climbing, but as others have said, it was good, but not great. We then spent a further week on the east, at Buggeru, which had much better weather, good climbing (although not as extensive as in the Cala Gonone area) and the sea was warm enough for a swim. Very few bars or restaurants open in November. Nice enough island, but I don't think I'll be rushing back. I much preferred Leonidio in Greece, which had amazing climbing and nice beaches nearby.

Stairclimber 25 May 2022
In reply to stevieb:

I am in Sardinia at the moment, enjoying a holiday with just a bit of climbing, having been several times before. I agree that Cala Gonone is pretty tourist season orientated, so you need a car to get to supermarkets as well as crags. Sea will be warm enough, but days shorter.

Moving around Sardinia is frustrating so consider blocking your activities and changing venues. I have also found that this demarcation helps to set aside a "non climbing" aspect of a family holiday. 

Cala Gonone still has some lovely climbing so don't let anyone tell you it's "all polished " though some certainly is.

Pedra Longa near Baunei is spectacular for climbing (once?), swimming and restaurant. I have found the Costa Esmeralda region in the north east stunning, for beaches, granite views and some bouldering . 

Finding accommodation and supermarkets just requires a bit of planning. Organise things around where you arrive/depart/hire a car.

It's a fantastic island.

OP stevieb 26 May 2022
In reply to Stairclimber:

Thanks, good to get a truly positive view. Splitting the trip between different locations could be an option. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...