UKC

Scottish campsites - year round opening?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kalna_kaza 08 Oct 2021

I'm looking to expand my options for Scottish trips as my opportunities for roughing it in the hills or in the back of the car are becoming less palatable to Mrs Kalna. I'm happy to fork out for a B&B every now and again but wonder if there's scope for extra weekends without exorbitant cost.

Are there any campsites open year round with hot showers and drying rooms? She's not keen on dorms in bunk houses before anyone suggests that - cheap private room suggestions welcome

Thanks in advance!

smithg 09 Oct 2021
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Red Squirrel?

or

https://www.hostel-scotland.co.uk/

https://independenthostels.co.uk/scotland-scottish-bunkhouses-hostels-bothi...

A lot of these offer separate rooms rather than mass dorms (especially now) and they're not a lot more than some campsites charge.

spragglerocks 09 Oct 2021
In reply to smithg:

Red Squirrel has new owners and won't be open over winter. To be honest the new owners are rude and obnoxious anyway so probably best to avoid - in spring he wasn't honouring bookings and turning folk away who'd travelled hundreds of miles. May have improved over summer, who knows but he has stated his intention to close in November.

https://www.facebook.com/349047072442/posts/10157940476422443/?sfnsn=scwspm...

Siward 09 Oct 2021
In reply to spragglerocks:

We used the by the way hostel in Tyndrum one winter. Private room, communal area in the middle. My only complaint was that it  was too warm! 

Martin W 09 Oct 2021

> Red Squirrel has new owners and won't be open over winter. To be honest the new owners are rude and obnoxious anyway so probably best to avoid

Disappointing if true.  Having read bad reports of the hostel/bunkhouse (and experienced it once - not my idea but too late to change by the time it had been booked) it doesn't seem to be a very welcoming option either (although to be fair the more recent Tripadvisor reports seem more positive).  Seems odd that such a popular location should be so poorly served in terms of hospitality venues - especially since, by the very nature of the place, there are only ever going to be a limited number of providers.

Is the temptation perhaps to place too much reliance on the location to draw people there, and let fundamental aspects of the actual accommodation service slip?

Dark-Cloud 09 Oct 2021
In reply to spragglerocks:

Hmmmm, some of their comments to people on that thread really are a bit crappy, it always amazes me how many people who run campsites clearly have no personal skills or generally can't be arsed with people apart form taking their money when it suits.

Andy Manthorpe 09 Oct 2021
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Loch Linne Holdays in Corpach are open from Dec 15th to October 31st. Nice location and the facilities are good.

Johnhi 09 Oct 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I must say I was a little surprised to read them threatening to set a dog on people regardless of the context!  Didn't come away with a positive impression earlier in the year but had put it down to how busy the place was.  Not a big fan of sites locking gates either, so won't be keen to return.

Dark-Cloud 09 Oct 2021
In reply to Andy Manthorpe:

Agree with this, we have stayed a few times, a really nice site.

I think the one up near Glenmore is open too but have found them a bit funny with us before, I.e. telling us they were full so we went and turned up and they let us on, but only after asking to inspect our van, to see if it was a “proper” camperwhich was odd

OP Kalna_kaza 09 Oct 2021
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Thanks for the replies everyone. Some mixed messaging about Red Squirrel campsite, seems a shame given its location.

Food for thought.

spenser 09 Oct 2021
In reply to Johnhi:

I pointed out to the guy that he was pushing away paying customers during his main season and was told that my comment was "invalid". The guy is clearly a bellend, no intention of staying there unless it changes hands.

Camping round the back of the Kingshouse gives you access to showers in the toilet block, still well located for the climbing and free camping!

Post edited at 22:21

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...