UKC

Sella v Gandia - opinions wanted

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ed Bright 26 Jan 2020

Hi all,

Looking for some collective UKC wisdom...

We have a 2 week trip to the  Costa Blanca coming up and are trying to decide between basing ourselves next to Sella or Gandia.

Anyone have any opinions/observations/preferences for either?

Good climbing, good restaurants and a nice vibe are the main considerations for us!

Thanks in advance 

nikoid 26 Jan 2020
In reply to Ed Bright:

Sella and Gandia are both out of the way places, in terms of eating out, bars etc and don't really lend themselves to staying nearby. You'd be much better off staying in Calpe and using that as your base IMO.

Mark Eddy 26 Jan 2020
In reply to Ed Bright:

Both have loads of climbing on offer. Probably more newly developed crags around Gandia as well as old favourites. If staying in/near Gandia there’s also easier access to Montesa, Bellis, Aventador, Tallat Roig, Alzira to name a few. Not sure what it’s like for eating out, but whenever I’ve been into the town it seems pretty busy so no doubt there’ll be a good choice of restaurants.

obvs lots of rock around Sella too and some really nice newer developed areas. Not sure what the access track is like after the recent storms (the rain has washed away some tarmac roads and Sella only has a rough track)!

Not much choice of eateries in the village, but Finestrat is only a short drive. As an all round base Finestrat would likely be better.

hth

Mark

OP Ed Bright 26 Jan 2020
In reply to nikoid:

We're trying to avoid as much driving as possible - we're happy to 'limit' ourselves to one of the big crags - there should be enough climbing to keep us going for a couple of weeks!

OP Ed Bright 26 Jan 2020
In reply to Mark Eddy:

Thank you. Lots of useful things to think about 🙂

nikoid 26 Jan 2020
In reply to Ed Bright:

Fair enough. As has been suggested Finestrat could work for Sella. We did stay there once and I remember we kept going to the same restaurant. I can't quite remember if that was due to lack of imagination on our part or whether there was limited choice! It amused the owners though. If you fancy a change you've got the Puig nearby as well. 

mark s 26 Jan 2020
In reply to Ed Bright:

We stayed at gandia town . Plenty of places to eat etc. We went to sella also from there. Can't remember how far it was though 

Dave Bond 27 Jan 2020
In reply to Ed Bright:

I had a 3 day trip to Sella a few years ago.  We stayed in Sella itself and ate in a different restaurant each night. They were all amazing! 

We also had Wild Side to ourselves for 2 days and shared it with one other team on the 3rd. It was a great trip. 

Iamgregp 27 Jan 2020
In reply to Ed Bright:

We chose Calpe so that we had plenty of options to go for something to eat or drink during the off season.  It's only 40 mins or so drive to Sella, it takes me that to get to my local climbing wall from my house.

However if you really wanted to just keep driving to a minimum and go to one crag a lot then Sella seems like a good option, we only spent one day there but some of the best climbing of the trip was there. 

Finestrat is also nearer to Guadalest, which I thought was a really fantastic crag with some great climbing set in a beautiful and peaceful valley.

Removed User 28 Jan 2020
In reply to Ed Bright:

I've just come back from a trip that included both these areas. 

They both have many other good crags nearby. Sella has a reputation for being polished and a lot of the routes are slabby.

Gandia, from memory, doesn't have as many routes as Sella but there's plenty of variation at the crag, both in grades and types of climbing.

Alfrede 29 Jan 2020
In reply to Ed Bright: in Finestrat at moment and track to Sella perfectly passable. You can avoid polished routes by selecting the lines bolted in recent years. Some are in Rockfax but many more can be found in UKC or alternative guidebooks or the Orange House topos on line.

OP Ed Bright 29 Jan 2020
In reply to all:

Thank you all for the useful info. We've booked a place in finestrat for the 2 weeks - very exciting!

Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 29 Jan 2020
In reply to Ed Bright: What Mark eddy said for the northern crags of Bellus, Aventador and Montesa, worth the drive there for the day if there for two weeks.

Post edited at 19:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...