UKC

Selvaggio Blu (Sardinia) - Anyone done it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ArnoldTheBat 07 Oct 2019

Was thinking about maybe giving this a go next summer/autumn. Was wondering if anyone had done it and could answer a couple of questions.

- Would late August, early September be too hot?

- If possible we'd rather do it without a guide. Is it feasible to carry/find all the water needed on route? Or, failing that, does anyone have a recommendation for people who can supply the route with water ahead of time?

- Would four days be reasonable for a relatively fit party comfortable with scrambling, abseiling etc.

- Fun?

For reference here's the UKC article on it: https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/destinations/selvaggio_blu_-_italys_tou...

Toerag 07 Oct 2019
In reply to ArnoldTheBat:

I think the new owners of the Lemon house can do support. Having been there in late May/June I can imaging August being too hot, and suspect water will be harder to come by than any other time of year. Happy to be proven wrong though.

In reply to ArnoldTheBat:

Attempted it in April a couple of years ago. We planned to do it unsupported over 4 days. Cached water for the third and fourth days and carried two days' water from the start. Arranged a 4x4 pick up from the end - we struggled to find anyone with a boat and there was a big swell, so none of the companies would properly commit to actually picking us up.

Was attracted to it because it was supposed to be 'technical' and seemed a bit different. They aren't joking about the navigation. The first day started off fine, as you're following a well-marked path. Lovely scenery etc. Then it becomes quite hard to follow and the terrain is pretty horrible - limestone pavement with thick, head-height bush. We fairly epiced, but did eventually make it to the bivi spot before nightfall, not before getting lost a couple of times and later having a complete meltdown when almost completely stuck in bushes. Remember you're also carrying 2 days' of water and ropes etc. Expecting some beautiful beach camping, we found a ratty, forested hovel to spend the night. Second day was much easier in terms of navigation and we made it to our water cache. From there, there was a fairly quick escape, which we knew from caching the water, so we decided to take it.

So we only did the first two days. Maybe the rest of it is amazing, but we'd already had enough. Sure, it was hard - especially the first day. But I also found it quite dull. It was basically a bushwhacking sufferfest with the occasional view of the sea/cliffs and some slightly interesting sections of scrambling, some esoteric sections equipped with cedar trunks, wooden shepherd huts etc. In short, I wouldn't recommend. I've got a high capacity for seeing the funny side, but I just didn't find it enjoyable. Maybe it's a personal taste thing, but it didn't compare to mountainous multi-day treks. I'd imagine doing it in August would be another level of misery. If it was properly marked, it would make it better. There were paint marks, but not reliable and once losing the trail it's hard to find again.

The kicker was, after bailing we had to then go and pick up our unused water bottles from the second cache and actually got lost again doing that, even though I'd been there previously.

Possibly going out on a limb here, but my take away was that it seemed like a pretty arbitrary trek made up so Sardinia could have its own 'GR20'. Sure, it's probably fairly unique in terms of the terrain and scenery, but it doesn't really have a point. The premise is it crosses some horrifically inhospitable terrain - no water, difficult underfoot, tricky navigation, impenetrable vegetation. Why would you want to do that? Interested to hear if anyone's actually enjoyed it.

After bailing on the trek we did some climbing and then bouldering in the North. Loved Sardinia and IMO you could have an amazing time there doing any number of things except the Selvaggio Blu.

OP ArnoldTheBat 07 Oct 2019
In reply to fibonacci moose:

Ha! That doesn't sound ideal, maybe I'll look for something else...

Toerag 08 Oct 2019
In reply to fibonacci moose:

> Was attracted to it because it was supposed to be 'technical' and seemed a bit different. They aren't joking about the navigation.

That's what I've heard too - for some reason dickhead locals will remove path markers to make it impossible / difficult, and it's not like it's easy nav in the first place - no visibility in the bush, poor GPS signal etc.  We struggled with getting to certain climbing / tourist locations and the maze of 'paths' on the plateau above Cala Goloritze ourselves (without GPS).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...