UKC

September sport?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RKernan 19 Feb 2013
The unfortunate confluence of injury, work and poverty means im not taking my usual winter sport climbing trip. I do have a chance in september, however - where is best to go then? Would el chorro be too warm?
 silhouette 19 Feb 2013
In reply to RKernan: September would be a good month for Mallorca DWS.
 James Malloch 19 Feb 2013
In reply to RKernan: I went to chorro last september and it was very hot (35-40 degrees every). Desplomandia was climbable as it was in the shade though.

But i'm planning some DWS in Mallorca for september this year, be a bit more refreshing I think.
OP RKernan 19 Feb 2013
In reply to James Malloch:

THanks for that. Was that early or late Sept? I'm not too keen on the idea of DWS, is there any 'conventional' venues that would be good that time of year?
OP RKernan 19 Feb 2013
In reply to RKernan:
^not keen as I wear glasses, don't fancy the idea of smashing/losing them int he sea or losing contact lenses
 James Malloch 19 Feb 2013
In reply to RKernan: I was out there around the 6th September if I remember correctly.

Not too sure on other destinations. I've looked at Ceuse for the summer as it should be cooler due to the altitude. But no idea what it would be like in September sorry.
 silhouette 19 Feb 2013
In reply to RKernan:
> (In reply to RKernan)
> ^not keen as I wear glasses, don't fancy the idea of smashing/losing them int he sea or losing contact lenses

I wouldn't worry about contact lenses; everyone uses the breast stroke with their head out of the water. I wear c/l's. Nobody wears glasses for DWS. And yes, Mallorca has plenty of amenable non-DWS with varying amounts of shade; Cala Magraner, s'Estret, Valledemossa, somewhere in the NW that I forget, Sa Gubi and several others.
 JM 19 Feb 2013
In reply to RKernan: Rodellar!
OP RKernan 19 Feb 2013
In reply to silhouette:

Have you ever had problems with them falling out? MIght be worth a try! Flights and car hire in Mallorca seem quite cheap - what's the temperature like for the non-DWS in late Sept?

Rodellar probably too hard for us... but is Sept too early for Siurana?
 Mark Bull 19 Feb 2013
In reply to RKernan:

Ariege (complete with new Rockfax guide) would be good in September.
 silhouette 19 Feb 2013
In reply to RKernan:
> Have you ever had problems with them falling out?

No (but I did take spares - particularly as I was the driver!)

what's the temperature like for the non-DWS in late Sept? It may well be too hot in the direct sun; but the sectors I listed will have shade for a high proportion of the day (mainly up until early afternoon in those sectors). Also, some sectors have several faces - sa Gubia being a good example; you can be in the sahde all day there if you want. And you may get cloudy days anyway. BTW some of the apartments on sites like "alpharooms" are amazingly cheap.

Gareth 19 Feb 2013
In reply to RKernan: Previously been to Buis-les-Baronnies climbing at St Julien (dehydration on the first day almost led to an abseil accident, drink water not wine!), Baume Rousse and Ubriex (all very close), so single and multi pitch. This was before the rockfax guide, very quiet with good climbing. Nice and warm - 28C at the end September.

Also been to Verdon at the same time if you want something longer, again same temperatures.

This year, like the above post suggests, off to Ariege.

Friends have also been to the Dentelles around this time and had stable warm weather - can chose N or S facing walls, depending on weather you want warmth or shade

have fun
 Owen W-G 19 Feb 2013
In reply to RKernan:

Paklenica in Croatia, single pitch and big walls at a reasonable grade, great food, inexpensive, take in some island hopping (hvar etc) and Dubrovnik too, September perfect weather when I went
 Sam Mayfield 19 Feb 2013
In reply to RKernan:

When in September. Here on the Costa Blanca it can be alot cooler towards the end than at the start.

We have our DWS Festival usually around the second week. People can still go route climbing, just not in full sun in the middle of the day! Early start or evening can be great with a break on the beach in the middle.

We have many people that wear glasses and it doesn't put them off at all.

Sam Orange House
OP RKernan 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Sam Mayfield:

Hi Sam, that's interesting, might do that! I was at the Orange House a year or two ago in Jan and had a great time - colder than expected (we got snowed on on Espolon Central) but brilliant.

Paklenica, eh? hmm.....
 Sam Mayfield 27 Feb 2013
In reply to RKernan:

DWS Festival and Film Festival/Climbing Comp now set a date.

25th September till the 30th.

Sam ;0)
Removed User 28 Feb 2013
In reply to RKernan:

Rodellar is perfect for late September, but if you're looking for crags with easier routes, you may want to consider Orpierre and/or Chateauvert (Vallon Sourn) as an option. Both places offer cheap accomodation (2 adults + car + tent = around 15 eur per night), and some really nice routes.
bobmalaria 28 Feb 2013
In reply to RKernan:

I was in Mallorca for regular sport climbing mid-end September 2 years back.
It is still pretty warm but not unbearable and you will find walls in the shade.

My favourite sport is Cala Magraner, located on the east coast (http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2519)

you climb and if you get too hot, just jump in the water and refresh. it is about a 30min walk in (well worth it) which also means that there are not many people around. usually we saw a max of 30 or so
 Reach>Talent 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Owen W-G:
I spent some time in Omis and Hvar around September and it was really good. Mljet has some good DWS but you won't find it in any guidebooks.
mackr 13 Mar 2013
In september, Hvar is perferct for DWS and sports climbing. And the prices are around 30% down from season's peak.

Guide available here:
hvarclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...