UKC

Seven days in Nepal...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lurking Dave 06 Jan 2020

OK well actually nine days, but that would kinda spoil the title... long story short, I have 1-9 February in Nepal, the better half is there project managing the rebuilding schools in remote areas and I am going to visit for a few days ... I have never been there but by all accounts, KTM is a bit crap with air pollution etc. 

Any suggestions of what to do? Are there short (intense) treks? MTB? or (!) climbing accessible in this timeframe?? Any advice welcome.

LD

dgbryan 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Lurking Dave:

I've not been in 20 years but the last time I was there we got a taxi to Sundarijal, just NE of KTM, & walked north to Langtang, then dropped down to some sacred lakes & made a left (W) towards Syapru Besi or Dhunche from where we got a jeep back towards - or to - KTM.

We took about 10 days as I recall but I am sure that if you were fit, fast & on your own you could do it comfortably in a week.

We'd poor weather for October, but it was a nice walk.

Tom Briggs 07 Jan 2020

Have a look at trekking in Helambu. Short drive from KTM, low altitude.

Leonard Tedd 07 Jan 2020

Some ideas.

Mountain bike the Annapurna Circuit. Possible in 5 days Kathmandu-Kathmandu, but much nicer to take longer. Very easy to rent a good quality MTB (eg Giant Anthem) from Himalayan Single Track, + guide if needed. And there is also superb mountain biking near Kathmandu, eg through the forests around the Kathmandu Valley rim.

Island Peak is a good short fixed-rope mountain trip at the end of multi-day approach trek and (just) possible in 8-9 days Kathmandu-Kathmandu. Again better/safer/more contingency to take longer. In case wondering on itinerary, mine (mid-Dec) was: Day 1 Kathmandu Lukla flight and walk to Namche; Day 2 acclimatisation trek to 4000m and stay at Namche; Day 3 walk to Pangboche; Day 4 walk to Dingboche acc-climb to 4500m stay Dingboche; Day 5 walk to Chukkung acc-climb to 5000m and stay at Chukkung; Day 6 walk to Island Peak base camp and rest; Day 7 (early) climb Island Peak and then walk back to Pangboche; day 8 walk from Pangboche to Lukla; day 9 early flight back to Kathmandu and at work that day. Commercial trips take many more days, and you need to be v careful with acclimatisation on shorter trips. Even without trying for Island Peak summit it's really v nice to walk around those villages and valleys - Ama Dablam, Lhotse and Makalu all around.

Nepal has several superb multi-day river trips kayaking (if you've a strong roll) or rafting (if not), Paddle Nepal and Ultimate Descents are the two main outfitters.

And lots of trekking: Annapurna Base Camp, Mardi Himal (a ridge above the ABC trek), Northern Gorkha (Manaslu and Tsum valleys), Langtang, Gosainkund, Helambu (as recommended above), and Khumbu all superb. 

Oh and Kathmandu is great by the way. Don't listen to nay-sayers. Though air pollution is bad (not as bad as Delhi) but it is bad there are 7 world heritage sites, very very good food (momos, and spicy Newar Choela), there are a couple of good climbing walls (KSCC and Astrek), it's good for a night out (much of Thamel is pedestrianised these days). Patan Durber square at night is unmissable.

Post edited at 20:13
 Martin Bennett 07 Jan 2020

I'm not a frequent visitor but one walk I have done is up Langtang valley. Parts of it are changed since we were there by the devastation of the 2015(?) earthquakes but also changed for the better, I believe, in that they surfaced the road and it no longer takes all day to drive from Kathmandu to Syabru Besi to begin the walk. Great views dominated by the 7000m Langtang Lirung, tea  stalls, rest houses and beers aplenty, and if you want, a 5000 metre fell walking summit to cap it off, with a view into Tibet and an 8000m peak - Shisha Pangma

LastBoyScout 08 Jan 2020
In reply to Leonard Tedd:

> Mountain bike the Annapurna Circuit. Possible in 5 days Kathmandu-Kathmandu, but much nicer to take longer. Very easy to rent a good quality MTB (eg Giant Anthem) from Himalayan Single Track, + guide if needed. And there is also superb mountain biking near Kathmandu, eg through the forests around the Kathmandu Valley rim.

Having done it, I disagree you can do it in 5 days, especially if not already acclimatised. It's a day from KTM to Besisahar by bus, another day back from Pokhara by bus and took us 8 days to do the biking, carrying our own kit. We did have a couple of lazier days we could have combined, but you're certainly not going to get round it in 3 days!

> Oh and Kathmandu is great by the way. Don't listen to nay-sayers. Though air pollution is bad (not as bad as Delhi) but it is bad there are 7 world heritage sites, very very good food (momos, and spicy Newar Choela), there are a couple of good climbing walls (KSCC and Astrek), it's good for a night out (much of Thamel is pedestrianised these days). Patan Durber square at night is unmissable.

I actually quite liked KTM.

IceKing 08 Jan 2020
In reply to Leonard Tedd:

> Island Peak is a good short fixed-rope mountain trip at the end of multi-day approach trek and (just) possible in 8-9 days Kathmandu-Kathmandu. Again better/safer/more contingency to take longer. In case wondering on itinerary, mine (mid-Dec) was: Day 1 Kathmandu Lukla flight and walk to Namche; Day 2 acclimatisation trek to 4000m and stay at Namche; Day 3 walk to Pangboche; Day 4 walk to Dingboche acc-climb to 4500m stay Dingboche; Day 5 walk to Chukkung acc-climb to 5000m and stay at Chukkung; Day 6 walk to Island Peak base camp and rest; Day 7 (early) climb Island Peak and then walk back to Pangboche; day 8 walk from Pangboche to Lukla; day 9 early flight back to Kathmandu and at work that day. Commercial trips take many more days, and you need to be v careful with acclimatisation on shorter trips. Even without trying for Island Peak summit it's really v nice to walk around those villages and valleys - Ama Dablam, Lhotse and Makalu all around.

This is not good advice, even if you can handle the acclimatisation you'll need there to be no delays flying in and out of Lukla and there often are, sometimes up to a week or more, when low cloud sets in it can for a while and nothing flies. And if you don't know how well you acclimatise at this altitude this is not the way to find out. Sure it's possible, I have done similar myself, but I acclimatise very fast and if you are carrying your climbing kit it is a tough trek. You will need to be very fit.

Agree about Kathmandu though, love the place.

IceKing 08 Jan 2020

A fast Annapurna Sanctuary trek is possible, will need to double up some days but it doesn't go as high so less problematic with altitude. Helambu in Langtang also.

Alternatively a trip to Chitwan is amazing if you like wildlife and bird watching. If you go to Meghauli instead of Sauraha (which is cheaper but bit of a tourist trap), can recommend this place https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g2451402-d2441205-Reviews-Chitwa... you can organise daily jungle treks, good ten hour walks with stellar wildlife. I've trekked and climbed all over Nepal but Chitwan is amongst my favourite experiences. Wouldn't recommend the packages (elephant ride - it was horribly mistreated) but instead negotitiate just jungle treks on foot with the guide. Can get bus to/from KTM or Pokhara. Or can fly from KTM to Baratpur, depends on your budget.

If I had nine days I would go to Meghauli/Chitwan for four, and explore the KTM valley for the rest or go canyoning and rafting with Ultimate Descents if wanting something more adventurous. Or fly to Pokhara and fast walk the Annapurna Sanctuary trek and fly back to KTM for the whole period. Great views on the flight from KTM to Pokhara. Beware of Pokhara, it exists on a different timeline to the rest of the world. It's like Hotel California, spend more than a couple of nights there and you may never leave

Robert Durran 08 Jan 2020
In reply to dgbryan:

Some of the suggestions here are inviting frustration at best and probably a miserable time or worse with the altitude in such a short time span. Unless you are very confident of how you go at altitude, look for something relatively low.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...