UKC

Sheffield to Stanage by public transport?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GrahamGiles 06 Jun 2013
Could anyone tell me if there is public transport from Sheffield to Stanage, Burbage or Froggatt or is it taxi's only?

Thanks
 MartinPL 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Gile5:
272 or 65 to Fox House and about 15mins walk to burbage south. To get to burbage north or stanage, go along the cliff and pass the bridge at the end of burbage north. To froggatt, catch bus no 65 and way out in froggatt, cliff is on your left side, you will see it enjoy !
 James Malloch 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Gile5: You can get a bus out to the Fox House for Burbage and that's not too far from Froggatt too.

Train to grindleford leaves a shortish walk to froggatt.

If you go to Hathersage then it's about a 2 mile walk to Stanage. For stanage you can get to Ringinglow Road and hitch out there easy enough too.
 jfw 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Gile5: Bus goes to fox house pub (Burbage), (past surprise view parking - Millstone).

Train goes to grindleford (froggat, yarncliffe) or hathersage (bit of a walk up hill to stanage/millstone).

Transport direct website good for planning public transport journeys.

Worth remembering if you get there quite often to get lift back from crag with other climbers.
OP GrahamGiles 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Gile5: Thanks allot guys, much appreciated!
 robert-hutton 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Gile5:
The Mainline Bus 84 from Sheffield to Ringinglow via Hunters Bar - Bents Green - Parkhead.

which gives you a mile to Burbage to walk or stick your thumb out and sure someone will pick you up

or the train to Hathersage from Sheffield
Rob
 deacondeacon 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Gile5: you can also get a bus to the strines turn off on the snake pass, which is a short walk to stanage end. Tbh stanage isn't the easiest of crags to get to by public transport but lawrencefield, millstone and burbage south are very easy.
 Rob Parsons 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Gile5:

For bus info, go to the Interchange. They have full printed maps & timetables. Timetables are also on their website, once you know the bus(es) you want.

Hitching also works.
 Jenny C 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Rob Parsons:
> (In reply to Gile5)
>
> Timetables are also on their website, once you know the bus(es) you want.

Which is ****** useless if you don't have a clue which bus number to catch in the first place.

PebblePusher 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Gile5:

Just google "Sheffield Journey Planner" and tell it where you want to go, it does everything for you.

As a non driver myself I know from experience that Stanage is a ball-ache to get to. We did bus to Hathersage then walked up but that is one hell of a hill, worth it when you get there though.

The easiest for public transport from Sheffield are Burbage (bus to fox house), Froggatt (bus to froggatt and walk up), train to grindleford for Yarncliff, Millstone or Lawrencefield (or bus to surprise view) & bus to Stoney Middleton for Stoney & Horseshoe Quarry (walk to Horseshoe from Stoney not much fun but I've done it a few times and it's doable).

Hope that help.
Chris
 Rob Parsons 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Jenny C:

> Which is ****** useless if you don't have a clue which bus number to catch in the first place.

That's why I suggested getting a bus map from the Interchange.
 mark20 06 Jun 2013
In reply to PebblePusher:
Best way to get to Stanage is either bus to Hathersage and hitch up the road, or bus to Bent's Green and hitch along Ringinglow Road. Both are easy on nice weekends
 wilkie14c 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Gile5: I get the train over to Hathersage quite often and if no lift I've never had a prob hitching up the hill, wear your sack and hold out your eastern grit book as a climbers code sign, never fails
 Babika 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Gile5:
In the old CC guides (of which I have many) there were copious pages at the front of each crag section explaining arrival on public transport.

I was always slightly bemused as I'd never actually met anyone who went to the crag by bus.

That is until I got a 6-month driving ban in 2011....
 vark 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Gile5:
Another option is to get the 51 to its terminus at Lodge Moor then walk past redmires and over stanage pole. The advantage of the 51 is it runs every ten mins unlike the other buses out to fox house etc. The walk takes about 45 mins and is mostly flat. The advantage if you do the same in reverse is you pass two decent pubs just before the bus stop.

It is also a quick walk across the valley to rivelin from the same terminus
 mark20 06 Jun 2013
In reply to vark:
It's only 10 minutes from Wyming Brook too
 Banned User 77 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Gile5: get the bus to Dore or Totley and hitch.. or walk.
 Fredt 06 Jun 2013
In reply to mark20:
> (In reply to vark)
> It's only 10 minutes from Wyming Brook too

It's well over two miles from Wyming Brook to Stanage!

robert-hutton 07 Jun 2013
In reply to Fredt:
> (In reply to mark20)
> [...]
>
> It's well over two miles from Wyming Brook to Stanage!

But a very nice walk now the blue bells are out, but watch the cows in the top field.
Rob

Tom Briggs 07 Jun 2013
In reply to mark20:
> (In reply to PebblePusher)
> Best way to get to Stanage is either bus to Hathersage and hitch up the road, or bus to Bent's Green and hitch along Ringinglow Road. Both are easy on nice weekends

When I was a student, we always used to hitch from the bottom of Rininglow Road. I can't think I have ever seen someone hitching there in the past 10 years. Do students all have cars now? Anyway, I would happily pick up climbers on Ringinglow Road, but you never see them!
 Al Evans 07 Jun 2013
In reply to Fredt:
> (In reply to mark20)
> [...]
>
> It's well over two miles from Wyming Brook to Stanage!

But its a very pleasant stroll Way back when a few of the Lodge Moor buses each day continued to Wyming Brook but I don't know if they still do.
 Al Evans 07 Jun 2013
In reply to Al Evans: By the way is the famous Stanage Bus a thing of the past now?
 deepsoup 07 Jun 2013
In reply to Fredt:
I think he meant its only 10minutes from Lodge Moor to Wyming Brook.
(For some properly filthy, but fun, esoterica.)

Up until a couple of years ago the first and last 51 bus of the day went all the way to Wyming Brook, so was probably a bit more practical for Stanage back then.
 deepsoup 07 Jun 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
> By the way is the famous Stanage Bus a thing of the past now?

Think so, yep. On account of being the famous Stanage Bus that hardly anyone ever used.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...