UKC

Single and multi-pitch climbing around Imst, Austria

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DavidR 09 May 2023

My wife and I are off to Austria over the summer, and we're trying to work out a base for a holiday that will be mainly climbing based with a bit of walking, cycling and maybe a bit of VF too. We're closing in on Imst and although there's quite a lot of good websites about Austrian climbing, we're really struggling to know which guidebook to go for. The Rockfax app covers a couple of crags in the nearby Otzal Valley, but it's around Imst we're seeking any pointers on. Can anyone help with the guidebook decision please? Similarly, if anyone's got any pointers of good climbing venues around the Imst area (single pitch sport in the F5 to 7a range, as well as more adventurous, mountainous multipitch routes), that would be very gratefully received.

Thanks a lot
Dave

John Ww 09 May 2023
In reply to DavidR:

We're going to Imst in summer for the climbing and we've got the guidebook - unfortunately,  it's in Germany and I'm in England, but I'll ask my missus tomorrow what it's called and get back to you 👍.

John Ww 09 May 2023
In reply to DavidR:

Ok, just Googled it - the one you’re after is called Sportklettern, Klettersteige, Eisklettern, Bouldern Ferienregionen Imst, Pitztal und Ötztal, authors Günter Durner, Gerard Gstettner, published by AM Berg Verlag, €24.90, 306 pages (new edition has a picture of a blonde lady climber with yellow trousers on the front cover. Cheers, JW 

cragtyke 09 May 2023
In reply to John Ww:

That guide uses the same topos as the climbers paradise website and is linked I think. Use the menus and follow the arrows.

https://www.climbers-paradise.com/en/climbing-imst/

NB. Otztal is only about a 30 min drive from Imst.

Post edited at 19:17
OP DavidR 10 May 2023
In reply to John Ww:

Thanks so much for this John... really appreciate it. Guidebook now ordered! Cheers, and enjoy your trip out there too!

OP DavidR 10 May 2023
In reply to cragtyke:

Many thanks... really helpful.

cragtyke 10 May 2023
In reply to DavidR:

https://www.cicerone.co.uk/innsbruck-mountain-adventures

You might find this useful as well.

I've stayed in Imst and found it ok but it's quite a sprawling place and doesn't seem to have much of a centre. It's good for supermarkets and access to the Inn valley, Otztal and Pitztal. The sports centre climbing wall is good, with the outdoor wall, and the Steinbloc bouldering wall is ok.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/destinations/otztal_-_austrias_outdoor_...

This is a useful article by Chris Craggs on Otztal.

Stein 10 May 2023
In reply to DavidR:

I just got back from a week in Ehrwald, but we went climbing at Karres near Imst. I second the Climbers Paradise website. In the tourist information office you can get a map with the topo from the nearby crags for free.

tjekel 10 May 2023
In reply to DavidR:

If its hot, have a look at Muttekopfhütte - VF, single pitch and multipitch at 2000m NN and above in you grades. All topos are on climbers paradise as well.

Th

Aigen 11 May 2023
In reply to DavidR:

Get off the plane and go to the Intersport in the middle of Innsbruck and to the climbing department. They have all the guide books and the staff have all the info. Job done. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...