UKC

Skye wild camping and ridge traverse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MaryB 23 Mar 2013
I'm planning a trip to Skye with a small group (6-8) in October, we'll be there about 10 days and plan to tackle the Cuillin Ridge traverse (or something equally exciting if the weather doesn't play ball) and kayak around the coast for 2 days. The rest of the time we're hoping to be climbing / hill-walking wherever the weather suits.

So, I'd appreciate advice from anyone on here ...

... firstly, can anyone recommend some stunning wild camping spots for a group of this size? (I've ear marked a couple of campsites and hopefully we'll be spending one night on the ridge and another on a beach but am looking to wild camp around the island the rest of the time.

... secondly, can anyone recommend an instructor to guide us on the ridge traverse? (we are all climbers of varying experiences, paddlers, skydivers and BASE jumpers so reasonably risk aware and competent physically and psychologically, and a good team, but as we don't know the terrain or its micro-conditions I'm planning on booking a guide for that part of our trip. I've found a few through research but would prefer to go with a recommendation)

I'd really appreciate any suggestions you may have

Many thanks, Mary
Tim Chappell 23 Mar 2013
In reply to MaryB:

Mike Lates is your man.

http://skyeguides.co.uk/about/your-guides/mike-lates/

I anticipate he'll tell you that 6-8 is too big to do the ridge as one group, and suggest you take it in pairs or fours at the most.

8 people wild-camping for a week creates a significant poo question. You'll need to resolve it. Or you could stay in the Glenbrittle and Coruisk huts. I expect Mike has the keys to both
OP MaryB 23 Mar 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:
thanks for the speedy response Tim, I'll check Mike out
re the poo question - the plan is that we will only stay in any place for one night and then move on
Tim Chappell 23 Mar 2013
In reply to MaryB:

You still need a shovel and an agreed location, I reckon...

Sorry to be graphic :-0
OP MaryB 23 Mar 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: have you used Mike as a guide yourself?
OP MaryB 23 Mar 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: Thanks Tim, we all wild camped the Great Glen canoe trail together last year so we have a pretty good designated s**t pit digger system and toilet kits are no prob ... highlight of the trip!!
Tim Chappell 23 Mar 2013
In reply to MaryB:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell) have you used Mike as a guide yourself?

I've only used a guide in Scotland once, when my confidence was low because I'd been in an accident. So no.

But I have met him (on the summit of Bla Bheinn) and he seems a really nice guy. I think you'll find he's very well thought of. He puts up loads of new routes, and he has a great blog.

OP MaryB 23 Mar 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: sounds great, I had actually come across his website and emailed him (along with two others)back in Jan when I began looking around for a guide and his response was spot on, but it's been hard to decide based on emails and websites, so your comments have just swung the decision ... thanks so much : )
... any more thoughts on places to wild camp?
Tim Chappell 23 Mar 2013
In reply to MaryB:

Incidentally... October?? Well, you might get lucky. Just as you might get unlucky in late May/ early June. Still, it's worth pointing out that October can be and often is absolutely useless in Skye. May/ June is the orthodox time for ridge attempts. And in recent years, the best weather in the whole Scottish summer has tended to come before midsummer's day.

Just saying...
Tim Chappell 23 Mar 2013
In reply to MaryB:

Wild camping? Well the Coruisk basin is kind of obvious. The top of Lota Corrie would be nice too.
OP MaryB 23 Mar 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Thanks Tim, most helpful ... and yes timing seems to be a tricky one and for a whole host of reasons we've gone with first 2 weeks in October but if we don't get lucky we'll still have a darn good time and we'll just be better prepared next time we try : )

your insights are most welcome so please feel free to keep them coming
Jim C 23 Mar 2013
In reply to MaryB:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell) Thanks Tim, we all wild camped the Great Glen canoe trail together last year so we have a pretty good designated s**t pit digger system and toilet kits are no prob ... highlight of the trip!!

In bad weather( or midge country) the two man bothy shelters ( with no bottom) is a handy portable toilet . Especially when they is no big rocks or trees around.
smr 23 Mar 2013
In reply to MaryB:
Camasunary. There's a bothy there too.
OP MaryB 23 Mar 2013
In reply to Jim C:

I hadn't thought of that!! great tip, thanks

smr - thanks : )
In reply to MaryB:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell) have you used Mike as a guide yourself?

I've been out with Mike on the sea cliffs and I'd go with Skye Guides again without hesitation if I was looking for a guide for the Cuillin. His local knowledge is encylopaedic.

OP MaryB 24 Mar 2013
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Thanks Tom, the Skye Guides website is great and Mike seems very personable via email, but it's fab to have good personal recommendations to go on too
Removed User 24 Mar 2013
In reply to MaryB: There can't be many finer camping spots in the UK than Coruisk. Get the boat from Elgol if you are feeling lazy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...