UKC

Snake pass closed 4-16 October

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robert-hutton 16 Sep 2021

Signs on the Snake pass yesterday saying it will be closed between 4-16 October, hopefully bikes can use as last few times the work persons was happy for bikes to use, only time in the year I would consider cycling up or down.

But crap news for anyone from the west wanting to come into the Peak.

Tom Valentine 16 Sep 2021
In reply to robert-hutton:

Woodhead/Strines

deepsoup 16 Sep 2021

It's often struck me that it would be a good idea to close it for a few Sundays each summer to allow people to cycle it in safety.  Chapeau to the brave souls who ride it regularly.

> But crap news for anyone from the west wanting to come into the Peak.

On the upside, there is lots of nice Peak already in the West.

mrphilipoldham 16 Sep 2021

Why anyone wants to drive east when the best of the Peak is on the west anyway often baffles me

thepodge 16 Sep 2021

I rode it a few years back when they closed it. Everyone in a 100 mile radius that owned a superbike or a Corsa came flocking thinking it was their own private race track. Probably more terrifying than when it was open, at least someone in a Volvo is usually slowing everyone down then. 

Other stereotypical car brands are available. 

deepsoup 16 Sep 2021
In reply to thepodge:

> I rode it a few years back when they closed it.

Me too.  Crikey, it sounds like I was lucky (or you really weren't)! 

My experience couldn't have been more different, just quite a lot of people on bicycles.  A couple of the farmers along the way were taking advantage of the road closure to mend fences more easily accessible from the road than the other side.

OP robert-hutton 04 Oct 2021

Anyone know if cycling is banned this year?

Michael Hood 04 Oct 2021

As well as the aforementioned Woodhead, there's the Mam Tor road into Edale, or down Winnats into Castleton, or the Stoney road, or various other routes further south.

And you have heard of the White Peak as well as the Dark Peak haven't you.

The world is bigger than the Plantation 😁

OP robert-hutton 04 Oct 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

> As well as the aforementioned Woodhead, there's the Mam Tor road into Edale, or down Winnats into Castleton, or the Stoney road, or various other routes further south.

> And you have heard of the White Peak as well as the Dark Peak haven't you.

> The world is bigger than the Plantation 😁

Don't want to drive, want to get out on bike without upsetting the contractor 😁

Michael Hood 04 Oct 2021

Personally, I just hope I remember the Snake's closed before I try to drive over it. If there's a sunny Friday or Sunday, there's a significant risk that I'll think "not been to Stanage for a while" and head off oblivious to "knowing" otherwise 😁

> Anyone know if cycling is banned this year?

Apparently, yes, closed to all traffic (bar access). It was the same last time too, but friends managed to persuade the guy on duty to let them pass. A separate time I got turned away. Tried the hard luck story about living the other side but no joy. Luck of the draw or perhaps more about what is going on at what particular time. 

Thomas Jones 05 Oct 2021

I cycled up this morning from Glossop (7am ish) and there were no issues. No sign of anything happening at the top so presumably the roadworks are somewhere down the other side.

The (cycling) hill climb on Sunday is still going ahead so it seems to be good news for cyclists.

I saw a total of 3 cars on the combined ascent and descent - lovely!

midgen 06 Oct 2021
In reply to Thomas Jones:

So the parking on top at the Pennine way is reachable by car from Glossop? I'll probably be up there in the next week and was thinking of nipping up to Kinder North edge...

ste_d 06 Oct 2021
In reply to midgen:

No I'm afraid the parking at snake summit isn't generally accessible during the road closure

Post edited at 09:02
 Thomas Jones 08 Oct 2021
In reply to midgen:

A quick update:

I tried to get up there again on my bike at lunchtime today, and was told it is now closed to cyclists. Apparently this is due to an accident involving a cyclist and a lorry last year?

Walking up is still permitted and they are allowing the cycling hill climb to go ahead on Sunday (so even if you haven't entered that would be a good time to sneak up on a bike...) 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...