UKC

Snowdonia campsite & pub combos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Sz 19 Sep 2018

I'm planning a trip to Snowdonia with my brother sometime in the next month or so, probably taking in Tryfan.

Any recommendations for good campsites within walking distance (30mins ish) of decent pubs? We will have a car for getting to and from the hills, but want to be able to relax with a pint in the evenings

Harry Ellis 19 Sep 2018
In reply to David Sz:

Nant Peris for the Vaynol Arms.

Capel curig has the Bryn Tyrch with a site opposite

pasbury 19 Sep 2018
In reply to David Sz:

There’s one near Plas-y-Brenin, the bar there is pretty good.

Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 07 Oct 2018
In reply to Harry Ellis:

What harry said is your best option for climbing campsites. I prefer Nant peris myself.

Lornajkelly 08 Oct 2018
In reply to David Sz:

Best bet is the vaynol/nant peris, but there's a nice campsite in the hills above Llanberis, just uphill of the youth hostel, from which you could easily walk to the Heights.  I made the walk back up from the chippy on the high street as being 15 minutes (laden down with chips) so take a few minutes off for having longer legs than me and the Heights being closer to it anyway.

Slarti B 08 Oct 2018
In reply to Lornajkelly:

> Best bet is the vaynol/nant peris, but there's a nice campsite in the hills above Llanberis, just uphill of the youth hostel, 

We stayed at the campsite above the Youth Hostel last year when it was raining and were not impressed.  Sloping field, very muddy and anywhere slightly flat had loads of standing water.  We moved somewhere else for second night. 

Lornajkelly 08 Oct 2018
In reply to Slarti B:

That's a shame, I guess we went mid-week so had our choice of pitches.  We got a nice flat bit with a great view over Vivian quarry.  I think a lot of campsites tend to struggle when it's raining - I've had some miserable times at Nant Peris in bad weather (including two tent poles breaking in the wind, in the same night) but it's still one of my favourites.

We did have a problem with some really noisy neighbours (2am slamming doors and shouting to each other) at the YH one, but the owner was really good about it.  Really nice facilities too, if that helps!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...