UKC

Solo carless trip to Font

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Elsier 18 Mar 2023

I need to try to taking a weeks leave in April and left it a bit too late to plan trips with any of my usual climbing partners as they already have plans now.

So thinking of potentially planning a solo trip to Font. How easy is it to meet up with people out there? I know I could in theory just boulder on my own, but it's a lot more fun with other people.

I'm planning on getting the train out but it looks like hiring a car on my own is going to be expensive. Has anyone done a carless trip for a week? How was it?

How was getting bouldering mats on the train?

How easy is it to get to the accom from Paris without a car? Most likely in the evening as Eurostar is much cheaper arriving in the evening.

And how easy is it to get supplies from the campsite? 

It looks like if I stay at la musadiere campsite or the Fontaineblhostel there will be bouldering within walking distance. But just need to think about all the other logistics like getting there, getting supplies and travelling on public transport with a boulder mat (although I could always hire instead?)

tew 18 Mar 2023
In reply to Elsier:

Depending on where you stay and when will have a massive impact on if you'll meet people out there. Camp is probably the most social option.

Getting around Font is a pain without transport. Unless you're happy to walk miles or just go the the local bouldering spot by the campsite. Then there's going shopping...

I'd advise driving out there. Means you can take a mat, your camping gear and get to the shops and bouldering easily 

Spike 18 Mar 2023
In reply to Elsier:

Over the years I have met many people climbing around Font without a car and solo, so its certainly do-able.

The advice on the internet seems to be to rent a bike in Fontainbleau town itself e.g. https://www.fontainebleaubikerental.com/ and you can get a train from Paris to Font if you wanted to hire a bike. We've usually got the train from the station close to Milly when we have had day trips to paris but we did also do Fontainbleau town to Paris some years ago so I know its possible

And this opens up more possibilities - from Musardiere its an easy cycle to the food shops and to many locations in that part of the forest. We've certainly had many car-free days in Font from that campsite.

Good luck with it

Offwidth 18 Mar 2023
 Enty 18 Mar 2023
In reply to Elsier:

There's a guy out there lives in a cave with no electricity or running water. He climbs Font 8C barefoot so it can't be that hard

E

OP Elsier 18 Mar 2023
In reply to tew:

Yeah driving is not an option hence why I posted. Live in Scotland, so long way to drive on my own and anyway have chronic back pain which restricts my ability to sit for long periods.

Adrien 18 Mar 2023
In reply to Elsier:

There's a few areas which are within walking distance from a train station, with more than enough climbing for a week. From Fontainebleau Avon: Calvaire, Mont Ussy, Roche Hercule, Rocher d'Avon, Mont Aigu; from Nemours: Petit bois, Rocher Gréau, Mont d'Olivet & Mammouths a bit further; from Montigny: Restant du long rocher and Marion des roches; from Bois-le-Roi: Rocher Canon. If staying in Paris (but why?) you can also take the RER D to Malesherbes and walk to Buthiers from there.

If you need a pad delivered to you it seems this company will deliver it to a train station: https://fontainebleau-crashpads.com/#

Getting mats on the train can be a pain if you travel during commuting hours in the same direction as commuters (i.e. towards Paris in the morning and from Paris in the evening), otherwise I'd say it's fine. Parisians do it every weekend. Maybe half of train passengers get on/off the train at Melun.

Renting a bike opens up some more possibilities, from Fontainebleau town the Fontainebleau-Barbizon "trail" will get you safely to Apremont for instance, and even to Cuvier from there (you do not want to cycle on D607, or D152; not a fan of D409 either, and even Route Ronde (D301) can be sketchy during commuting hours and on weekends).

In reply to Elsier:

Is that bouldering bus thing still going? Something like that is probably the second best plan*.
Just checked - don't think it's the same as it was, but there's this. Just have to get yourself to Paris: https://www.climbingbus.com/fontainebleau 

I've met, chatted to, climbed with plenty people out there without cars over the years. None of the amenities is a very short walk/cycle so the faff/climbing time split is very different. Usually it's people who are out there for a really long spell so they're not too worried about being out climbing all day every day. It is completely possible but you have to be honest with yourself about what you want out of your week. If you enjoy the chilled pace, variety and downtime then go for it. 

* Best plan being find a bunch of people to jump in with, which probably won't be that difficult in April. Either from the UK or at the campsite once out there.

Post edited at 13:42
OP Elsier 18 Mar 2023
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

This looks great. Thanks for the suggestion. 

tjekel 18 Mar 2023
In reply to Elsier:

Stayed at la chapelle la reine at gite le clos du tertre who had free e-bikes through the nature park. It was easy to reach many of the main sites this way. Was looking for the service on the park site, but was not successful due to my french probably.

Worth it, however.

In reply to Elsier:

I’ve got the train down, arranged hire car pickup at the station, and picked up a hire mat from S’Cape the climbing shop in Font. Musardiere, I often leave the car there and walk. Otherwise air bnb near Milly la Foret or Noisy Sur Ecole. 

I found it ok to find people to climb with around the boulders, but also from the climbers cafe ( the one that does pizzas and mat hire) in Arbonne la Foret 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...