UKC

Solo trip to Asia 2020 (tips/advice/buddies)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nickyprice77 09 Sep 2019

Hi all. I intend to spend a few months climbing and hiking in Asia starting the 1st Jan 2020.

I plan to take 70m rope, draws etc. 

I'm starting in Sri Lanka, heading to South India then onto Vietnam, Laos, Thialand.

So looking for any useful advice please;a do's and don'ts? 

I'll also be after sport climbing buddies.

Thanks a mill

Nicky

ElBarto 09 Sep 2019
In reply to nickyprice77:

I was in Thailand climbing a while ago and went to http://nppy.camp/, it's really good small climbing venue with bamboo huts for accommodation and even a zip wire to access one of the crags. Not one of the main tourist kind of climbing spots.

I've love to join you on part of the trip, I've been looking for someone to climb with abroad outside of Europe for a while but I'm hoping to buy a house this year so don't think I'll be able to buy one and travel that far in a short space of time.

Hopefully on another trip, would love to climb more out of Europe.

OP nickyprice77 09 Sep 2019
In reply to ElBarto:

Hey El Barto. 

Thanks for the reply. I'll check there out for sure.

I'm mostly worried about carrying all of the gear by myself. Is that what you did?

Or did you hire/buy stuff out there?

Happy house hunting. I hope u find a place with room for some training! 😄😄😄💪💪💪

ElBarto 09 Sep 2019

I took my harness & shoes (maybe helmet too) then hired everything else while I was out there. Otherwise that's a lot of weight to carry around backpacking and as the climbing session is pretty much November / December to February / March and I was travelling for seven months I didn't want to carry a load of climbing gear when most of my trip wasn't climbing related.

Also I just thought if you find yourself in southern Cambodia there's a place called Climbodia which has some good climbing. When I was there they were just starting to bolt routes so there wasn't much and not worth going out the way for but it has been a few years so might be worth looking into.

Iamgregp 09 Sep 2019

I've climbed in Vietnam on Cat Ba Island, some really great routes there, though sadly Asia Outdoors (who started the scene there and served as a bit of a central hub) are no longer in business, though I'm sure there's other good ones there.

The guy with the moustache who gives massages in Cat Ba harbour (you'll see him) gives the best massages in the world. Get one.  He leaves it up to you how much you pay.  You'll pay well...

There's so much climbing in Vietnam and there's now a guide for the whole country https://www.pushclimbing.com/en/blog/2019/2/13/vietnam-climbing-vietnams-fi...

Have a great time!

OP nickyprice77 10 Sep 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

Thanks so much for the heads up and advice.

I really appreciate it. 

Xx

Tom Blake 10 Sep 2019

Green climbers in Laos is one of the best places to find partners that I've been to. 

If you go to tonsai, prices are much higher than in Krabi, so picking up a bag of snacks wouldn't be a bad idea, just watch out for the monkeys even you arrive! They seem to know plastic bag=food. 

rpc 10 Sep 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

Based on what we saw this past November (edited for correct time frame), Ha Long seems like it might be a tough place for finding partners; now even more so w. Asia Outdoors gone.  Huu Lung on the other hand might a better option in Vietnam for a solo climber.

You could also check out Tioman Is. in Malaysia.  Tam runs the climbing resort at the base & is a climber.  Could probably hook up with him for a route or two.

Post edited at 22:16
OP nickyprice77 17 Sep 2019
In reply to rpc:

Thanks so much guys!!!!

xxx

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...