UKC

Southern Greenland in winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 19 Oct 2021

Anyone been in winter? I'm interested in anything from the weather to how one might get around. Does it ice up? Or is access into fjords still by boat. Thanks 

Wicamoi 20 Oct 2021
In reply to David Coley:

I can't answer your question properly, but I've spent some time (in summer) around Qaqortoq (SW Greenland), and I'm pretty sure the fjords around there remain navigable all winter. Could well be a different story on the east coast.

Tom Briggs 20 Oct 2021
In reply to David Coley:

Al Powell and Jon Bracey climbed in winter in the Schweizerland (East Greenland):

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/tupilak-silence-of-the-seracs

Dunno about Southern Greenland. I've only been in summer. So much clean rock that takes no drainage, I can't see it being a primo venue for winter climbing.

jdh90 20 Oct 2021
In reply to David Coley:

Reading around Sisimiut when researching a walking trip, I think I read the phrase "most northern, consistently ice-free port" being attributed why it became a successful settlement.  So I would guess you'd need to be looking there or south of there to answer the question about icing fjords.

Balanced with change being afoot though. My girlfriends doing her PhD in weather stuff over the ice sheet and even the summit has been warming to/breaking above freezing point over the last few summers, so stands to reason that winters are the coast may be becomming more mild and some spots north of sisimiut may be ice free too.

Nice round there, but shhhhhhhhh....

Rharrison 20 Oct 2021
In reply to David Coley:

It's easy enough to find archives of the ice charts, so you could check a few winters to see what the usual ice situation is. 

earlsdonwhu 20 Oct 2021
In reply to David Coley:

Ski touring out of Kulusuk is quite common. I believe the norm is to use skidos up the fjords to establish a base camp or use some of the hunter's huts. Try contacting Matt Spenceley at Pirhuk Expeditions.

OP David Coley 22 Oct 2021

Thanks everyone 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...