UKC

Spain n March crag recommendation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fammer 10 Jan 2022

Hi, looking for a crag recommendation for Spain in March. I'll be looking to climb mid 7s, my partner mid 6s, both more interested in onsighting than projecting. Just got back from Chulilla and enjoyed the style there (not steep, not cruxy, well bolted, good for onsighting - ie good for trad climbers).

Looking to just go for 4 or 5 days, so somewhere that doesn't require a massive drive from an airport, and airports accessible from Bristol a bonus. 

Thanks

snoop6060 10 Jan 2022
In reply to fammer:

Well there’s absolutely loads. Bit warm down south but lots of Catalunya is great in march. Suirana is an obvious choice if you haven’t been. 

Climber_Bill 10 Jan 2022
In reply to fammer:

Have you been to Riglos? Very trad like sport climbing. The Visera sector with Fiesta de los Biceps is quite steep with good holds but the other sectors are less steep and more technical. Tends to be runout due to the length of the pitches, which is why adopting a trad mentality helps when looking down and the previous bolt is out of sight.

It is about a 3 hour drive from Barcelona but it's an easy drive and the roads are generally quiet.

The refugio is good and the walk in is very short.

SD.

OP fammer 10 Jan 2022
In reply to snoop6060:

Thanks, Siurana definitely on my radar, although I was a little concerned if there were many crags with good quality routes across the grade range we're looking at, it looks like it might be a case of hopping about a bit for routes in the mid 6s.

critter 10 Jan 2022
In reply to fammer:

Buy flight to Barcelona, hire car.

Buy 'Donde Escalar en Espana, Ed. 3. (Where to climb in Spain)

Enough climbing within 150km for a lifetime

https://www.libreriadesnivel.com/libros/donde-escalar-en-espana/97884982942...

dominic o 10 Jan 2022
In reply to critter:

+1 recommendation for Donde Escalar - we visited about 100 of the crags in the time between the 1st and 2nd editions, but the list grew by double that - with Ed 3 we've abandoned trying to keep up, but you'll find tonnes of beta and photos here: https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/category/spain/

Cheers, Dom 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...