UKC

Spanish Residency?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 20 Feb 2020

I have been reading around this and if I have understood it correctly, if you aim to be in Spain for more than 90 days you are supposed to apply for a Residency Permit which appears to be reasonably easily issued. This last for one (or two?) years and can be renewed.

With a Spanish Residency Permit you are then free to travel through Europe as an EU Citizen, thereby sidestepping the 90/180 day rule for non-EU residents.

Does anyone have any idea if this is actually true or has even done it and if so, are there any pitfalls to be avoided?

Thanks for any input,

Chris

ian caton 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Does this type of temporary residency give you health care? I guess not. Might even invalidate your right to the NHS if you are not resident here. 

Post edited at 19:02

Following this post with interest for next years long trip. As far as I can tell it's very unclear as yet what we will need to do. This sounds like a simple solution which I hope is true! 

Em

Post edited at 19:08
 jezb1 20 Feb 2020
In reply to ian caton:

> Does this type of temporary residency give you health care? I guess not. Might even invalidate your right to the NHS if you are not resident here. 

No, you have to provide evidence of private healthcare.

OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 20 Feb 2020
In reply to ian caton:

> Does this type of temporary residency give you health care? I guess not. Might even invalidate your right to the NHS if you are not resident here. 

I believe I read that as a UK pensioner, if I get in before the drawbridge rises then my reciprocal healthcare right are protected (not 100% on that). For Sherri - who should have got her pension last year but didn't because of the Government pushing it back six(!) years, I'm guessing she might have to get health insurance,

Chris

ian caton 20 Feb 2020

Have looked into it some, if you are trying to get in before the draw bridge goes up then you have right to permanent residency which definitely includes permanent health care cover. But I think that is a different route to the one you suggest. There are residency requirements which I think vary from country to country. E. G. For France you have to stay for at least 6 months a year for the first 5 years and show you are financially sound. Which if you are working is that one of you has income of roughly 1000 euros a month. The older you are the more it is. Spain will have something similar.

If one of you qualifies the health care of the other is covered. 

Post edited at 20:08
 climbercool 20 Feb 2020
In reply to ian caton:

As far as I understand I think Spanish residency does include health care, but at the same time you need proof of your own comprehensive health care before you can apply for Spanish residency.  As for loosing NHS access I have heard stories of people living abroad for 10 years or more loosing access but I'm not sure about Spanish residents, but very interested to find the answer. 

I am currently looking into the practicalities of moving to spain with my child and Non EU wife.  I seem to have spent days researching the details of this but don't actually feel like i know anything more than when i started.  eagerly following this thread!

ian caton 20 Feb 2020
In reply to climbercool:

The Withdrawal Agreement specifically enshrines the right to health care for expats/migrants.

I think technically you lose the right to NHS cover if you are non resident for only a year or two. But I guess you can instantly become resident here if needs must. 

Post edited at 20:23
 racodemisa 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Emilysaladfingers:

From Feb 2021 you can visit spain for 90 days every 6 months.Same status as north Americans ...Australians etc.Befor this ie during the transition period nothing has changed.

Post edited at 17:49
 John2 21 Feb 2020

Here's the official version -

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain

In reply to racodemisa:

Ah yes that bit I've seen but what is unclear is if you want more than 90 days......I'm hoping it will be a simple Visa application. 

Post edited at 19:05
 racodemisa 21 Feb 2020

That would be nice but it probaly won't happen.It is a visa system coming into action from Feb next year.The only way to avoid this is go to Spain befor this time and apply for a 'visitors card' this gives you a temporary residence and access to EU citizenship.Without this you can visit Spain (EU)or up to 90 days at one time but not longer.To get full citizenship you have to have been resident in that country for 5 years (8 months a year).

Post edited at 19:29
In reply to racodemisa:

Thanks that's really helpful. More research needed ASAP! 

Was planning a 4-6 month trip next year which would be November onwards, I wonder how that will work as the new rules would come into play as we will be away. I foolishly thought we would get better access than we are. Gutted. I regret not moving here years ago! 

racodemisa 22 Feb 2020

I'm in Spain now.This is what I have gleaned from ex-pats here in cataluna and ex-pats support groups... online..I think it applies to all 27 countries.We have left and thus freedom of movement will greatly be reduced.Its a done deed.Crazy+stupid imo.

Post edited at 09:45
 wbo2 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Emilysaladfingers: a good idea would be to check what the situation is for an Australian as you'll likely be in the same position. 

In reply to racodemisa:

I've been reading about it. It seems quite easy to get the NIE ( which is the visitors residency as far as I can tell you can do it at a police station in Spain or at the embassy in London,  you need an appointment .) I've emailed a few people who seem to know their stuff and the spanish embassy and I'll post again if I find anything more out! 

I couldn't agree more, crazy and stupid and a huge impact on our rights. Very depressed as we are just making changes in life to allow us to get away for a few months each year. I only wish we had moved here five years ago.

Would be ok if it was 90 days in each country but not for the whole area. Properly  crap. 

racodemisa 22 Feb 2020

It's done.Feelings of loss I've had..anger ..denial ..etc have mostly passed.Im here to see the process you mentioned  above to a conclusion.Either here in cataluna or the Asturias.

In reply to racodemisa:

Yes, for now it is what it is. And at least we are in a position to be sad about this and have the chance to do something about it! Like I say if I find anything more helpful I'll post again  

Trythallj 23 Feb 2020

As you realize, it ia a complex subject, and nobody knows all the answers yet, as there is much to be agreed between the eu and uk, and by Spain itself. The NIE is nothing to do with residence, but is a number needed by foreigners to carry out certain financial transactions, alhough it does appear on the residency card. 

As already mentioned, the gov.uk site gives definitive answers, but only on what is so far definite. I recommend the British Embassy in Madrid facebook page for getting a better feel of how you might want to hedge your bets. It includes some useful Q&A videos. 

racodemisa 24 Feb 2020

You have to show you have a permanent address and enough money to live on per month as defined by Spanish immigration.

Lesdavmor 24 Feb 2020
In reply to racodemisa:

Not citizenship, residencia which becomes permanencia after 5 years. At least it used to be

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...