UKC

/ Sport climbing in the rocklands

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Ed F - on 08 Jun 2018

We're going to the Rocklands for 6 weeks in July/August. Obviously we're going mainly for the bouldering, just wondering if it's worth bringing the rope for a bit of variety... 6 weeks is a long time!

Does anyone have any experience of sport climbing in the rocklands as I can't find much on Google...

Is it any good?

How easy is it to navigate? (Is there a guidebook?)

How long a rope/how many draws do you need?

Thanks in advance

jon on 08 Jun 2018
In reply to Ed F:

I climbed in Rocklands a long time ago in 1994. I didn't do any bouldering but spent a few days doing 20 or so routes up to about 27/28 (the info we had gave French grades - they were mostly Andy de Klerk routes so maybe it was him who gave me the info thinking French grades might make more sense!). It was difficult at the time to get info so we inevitably didn't know names of most of the routes, so when it came to filling in my logbook I could only identify 3 of them - Orange Plasma (21) Riding Shotgun (23) Cedar Rouge (24) I think they were all really good routes and I'd say yes, it's certainly worth taking a rope. Sorry, I don't recall how long they were or how many draws.

Post edited at 11:29
Neil Carruthers - on 08 Jun 2018
In reply to Ed F:

Not Rocklands exactly but i've climbed at the 'nearby' Truitjies Kraal which was very good. Nothing particularly long by good fun climbing in a stunning setting. Very close by is also the excellent Wolfberg Cracks; world class trad climbing (with almost no one there!)

If I was going for 6 weeks i'd definitely take a sport and trad crack to break things up.  You would probably need a car though to get around. 

jon on 08 Jun 2018
In reply to Ed F:

Just found this. Managed to identify a few more routes from it:

http://www.climbing.co.za/wiki/Rocklands

Ed F - on 11 Jun 2018
In reply to both:

Great - thanks guys!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.