UKC

St Bees head

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dangerous Dave 21 Sep 2018

St. Bees Head

Afternoon folks,

I will be in the Southwest lakes on Saturday and was thinking of taking a look at St bees to whittle away a few hours bouldering on Saturday.  Issue are I will have my dog, is it ok to get down there with her? I boulder up to 7a (on a very good day) where is the best area to go. Any info much appreciated.

John R 21 Sep 2018
In reply to Dangerous Dave: At risk of stating the obvious it does depend entirely on the dog. Our collie used to do it easily, but it's certainly not a good descent for anything less agile, and the route along some of the boulders has scope for slipping, especially when greasy. The easiest descent is the most northerly, but leaves a bit of a traverse back south to the good crags and boulders. The south head is no more dog-friendly. Have fun if you decide to give it a go, John.

In reply to John R:

Hi John, thanks for the info. My dog is a collie lab cross and is quite good at scrambling around. So it sounds like it could be ok. I have some other options too. Thanks

John R 21 Sep 2018
In reply to Dangerous Dave: just another thought: depending where you are in SW Lakes the Eskdale granite is another good bet for some bouldering with dog-friendly access, unless, of course, it is wet....... . John.

woppo 21 Sep 2018
In reply to Dangerous Dave:

last time there, cows in farm and approach fields which may be a factor to consider?

petegunn 21 Sep 2018
In reply to Dangerous Dave:

Also remember to go to Sandwith and not the town of St. Bees.

In reply to petegunn:

Thanks folks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...