UKC

Storm damage in Calp.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 OliverR17 20 Jan 2020

Heads up for those heading out soon and hope everyone is okay who's currently there.

Just seen some nasty looking pictures of the Calp seafront, looks like a lot of restaurants will be out of action over the coming weeks. I'm assuming a lot of loose rock may have been created and moved about on the Penon and other big crags, so be careful! According to some online news outlets, it's had an impact at Alicante airport too so worth checking your flights.

If there's anyone out there at the moment who can shed any more light as to damage done and if any crags are affected, feel free to post below.

Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 20 Jan 2020
In reply to OliverR17:

Just a big storm, and whilst some restaurants will need to mop up, and contractors need to fettle the promenade and sea wall - again - I’d be surprised if any crags or climbing will have been affected.  The power of the waves that tossed aside some pretty substantial lumps of concrete must have been pretty awe inspiring, it must be said.

That said, the Jalon Valley crags were looking a bit damp this afternoon, and the raging torrent passing Lliber means that crag will be inaccessible for a few days, and the villas just before the climbers’ parking will have to rebuild their access road... again!

Can’t really complain though. We have just enjoyed 5 weeks of absolutely perfect weather.

Neil

Alex Riley 20 Jan 2020
In reply to Neil Foster:

Surf looked pretty good today, few roofs blown off and a bit of snow on the mountains. Driving past calp tomorrow so I’ll update then.

Alex Riley 23 Jan 2020
In reply to Alex Riley:

Went to a beach bar in calp yesterday, didn’t notice much damage. Everything seems to be open as normal.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...