UKC

Street parking Blair Atholl

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Has anyone parked on the street overnight in Blair Atholl village? There’s the car park at Bridge of Tilt, but it’s set back in the woods and not sure how happy I’d be leaving the car there for a couple of days- would rather leave it somewhere where people are around. We parked in the village centre in Tomintoul last year, and that felt petty safe- is there anywhere similar in Blair Atholl where we could leave a car for a couple of nights and not annoy the residents...?

Mike-W-99 16 Apr 2019
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

I'd quite happily leave my car there. Its Blair Atholl not some dodgy housing estate.

In reply to Mike-W-99:

Yes, granted. Were there not some break ins at the Linn of Dee car park a while back, though? 

Martin W 17 Apr 2019

There is a railway station in Blair Atholl.  You could take the train and not have to worry about where to leave the car?

There's a car park at the visitor centre that I think doesn't have any overnight parking restrictions.  There is a reasonable amount of traffic through there because of the visitor centre, the park next to the river and the chipper.  Or there's a patch of ground next to the Atholl Arms (where you turn off for the railway station, in fact) where it looks like you could leave a car for a couple of days without it being in the way - and being next to the busy hotel its more likely that untoward activity could be spotted.

T'other side of the river in the village itself I doubt you'd have any issues leaving your vehicle sensibly parked on one of the side streets but still nearish to the main road.  Whether passing traffic on the main road would be a deterrent to n'er-do-wells I couldn't say but as Mike-W-99 says, it's not exactly a rough area.

You can reduce the chances of attracting the attention of folks with malevolent intentions by making it clear that there's nothing in the car: glove box open and empty, rear sets folded down and nothing in the boot etc.  (Not such helpful advice if you do intend to leave stuff in the car that can't be tucked out of sight beneath the seats, though.)

doz 17 Apr 2019

> Has anyone parked on the street overnight in Blair Atholl village? 

People who live there have on occasion......

nniff 17 Apr 2019
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> I'd quite happily leave my car there. Its Blair Atholl not some dodgy housing estate.

Not sure about that - one of the neighbours keeps a private army, just in case......

In reply to Martin W:

Thanks Martin- train option not available as we have bikes and I think there’s a limit to the number Scot rail will carry... visitor centre car park looks like a good option if they allow overnight parking- anyone out there done this? 

subtle 18 Apr 2019

Best park down near the Athol Arms Hotel as advised by someone else - not directly in their car park but adjacent to it - near enough to the hotel for passing people to ward off any unwanted attention to your vehicle. Just make sure you pop in for a pint before or after your trip.

Enjoy your trip, weather due to hold so should be good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...