UKC

Suggestions for summer sport climbing in Europe?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Flying Spaghetti Monster 14 Jul 2014
Anyone got any recommendations for Summer sports venues in Europe that won't be too hot in August and September?

Many thanks
 Jon_Warner 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Flying Spaghetti Monster:
The UK? ...

Or a bit more exotic Cortina D'Ampezzo would generally be low 20's. Some great single pitch sport climbing in the forests which gets less attention than it deserves due to the longer routes and via ferratas towering above.
Post edited at 23:53
 Jon_Warner 15 Jul 2014

Ailefroide and the higher shady crags in the Briancon region are also worth a look.
 Toerag 15 Jul 2014

We did Arco in aug/sept a couple of years ago - it was fine on shady crags from 8-12, then we went for swim/ice cream, then knocked off a VF in the evening. Worked well
 HeMa 15 Jul 2014

Rodellar is generally considered as a summer destination...
 madam 15 Jul 2014
Hi,

1. Frankenjura?
2. Otherwise I would second the cortina d'ampezzo tip. See this site to get some idea about cortina: http://www.guidedolomiti.com/en/sport-climbs-and-crags/

adam
 JuneBob 15 Jul 2014

Flatanger.
 Owen W-G 15 Jul 2014

Croatia - Paklenica sport climbing and big walling and Hvar DWS
 GDes 15 Jul 2014

This is an eternal issue for me, as the big teacher holidays fall at a time when most well known european sport destinations are too hot. The classic venues are Ceuse and Rodellar, but the crowds keep me away.

It depends what grade you are after, but you could do a lot worse than getting the Schweiz Extrem guidebooks, and heading to Switzerland. Lots of great crags that are high up and cool (Simplon Dorf is a great example). And you get the added bonus of lots of multipitch routes if you want them, and obviously great walking and mountain biking (or long granite slabs) for rest days.

Another good option is the Austrian Tyrol. Zillertal, Schleirwasserfall, Chinesisiche Mauer. There's an excellent Tyrol sport climbing guidebook available. Again, lots of good mountain biking too.

A place I never managed to get to due to buggering up my ankle at the start of the trip, was the Picos de Europa and Costa de Verde area in Northwest Spain. There's a new guidebook just out to the area which looks like a superb summer venue.
 simonzxr 15 Jul 2014

Ceuse all the way. Spent three weeks there last July/August. Not too busy and the climbing and scenery are awesome...what more could you want?!
 aidanb 15 Jul 2014

The wye valley
In reply to aidanb:

Wye not!
 Daysleeper 19 Jul 2014

High Alps, Ecrins national park area. Cracking sport climbs all around the area.

If you stay near the Lake Serre-Poncon you can go east all the way up to Briancan area in under an hour or west to Orpierre in about the same time. The lake is massive and fed by the Durance so the water stays lovely and cool all year

Just back from there, I used "undiscovered alps" to arrange a few days single and multi pitch sport climbing with my children, really good.

Ramen.
 DaCat 20 Jul 2014

I also go with the Ecrins. The climate is hot during those months but there is always plenty of shaded climbs and the humidity is low because its up in the mountains. Some great camp sites that get popular with the climbing crowds.

The only problem is, its a bit of a drive unless you fly to Turin and hire a car.

Nick_Scots 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Daysleeper:

The lake was 21 last week !
 DaCat 20 Jul 2014

La Roche de Rame is an ideal place to camp because of the small clear blue lake and easy access to many hundreds of climbs
http://www.campingleverger.com/

Most visiting climbers will camp up at Ailefroide because its high up and so the evenings are much more bearable and of course there is rock to climb all around you. You don't have to go to the campsite either, which is here: http://www.ailefroide.fr/camping/ but can go higher up, past the village/shops and just set up a pitch. They may charge you but its very little because its so basic. The beauty of being up so high is, you won't get pestered by flies.
 Daysleeper 21 Jul 2014
In reply to Scott_vzr:

21c, really it seemed cooler but then we'd just been to the top of Mont Guillaume. We must have passed somewhere on the road, must say we saw very few Brits down there at all.
 Nick_Scots 21 Jul 2014
In reply to Daysleeper:

We noticed all of France and the Alps was quiet. Normally after Bastille day, the Alps etc get busier not this year. The big lake -Serre Poncon - was quiet, normally the lakeside campsites are bursting. We mtb rode in Alp DHuez and only 20 or so bikers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...