UKC

Sun Rock = Sun Burn?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fakey Rocks 27 Dec 2018

Haven't been abroad in a long long time!

I'm the fair skin burn easy type, so would appreciate advice from similar types.

I don't find suncream or block really helps much when you are out in it for 8 hrs, although no doubt a lot of that time will be spent more covered up whilst not climbing.

If you go somewhere possibly sunny for many days, like France? , although it looks much more likely that Spanish crags could easily have a whole week or more of sun than French ones, and I climb every other day or more, are you likely to get sun burn, or is it generally not so warm so you will be climbing fairly covered up too?

(Will probably be off to the Tarragona / Lleida area crags if Spain)

Ben07 27 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

Have you ever considered putting suncream on more than once a day.

john arran 27 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

The sun is lower in the sky in winter, so the sunburn effect is reduced compared to summer, but it's still a genuine concern if you'll be out for more than a few hours. The number of sunny days aren't the issue - more the duration you're in the direct sun for on any one day.

If sunblock doesn't work for you, you're not using a high enough SPF rating.

If you're fair skinned it would be foolish to be climbing in the sun in Spain or the South of France in winter without having sunscreen with you.

marsbar 27 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

Factor 50 and reapply.  Long sleeves or at least covered shoulders and back.  

Fiona Reid 27 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

I don't get on well with sunlight. Nivea kids or baby factor 50+ cream applied a couple of times, once at breakfast before I go out and again around lunch time seems to work fine and I can be in the sun all day without any burning. 

If I'm walking and sweating a lot I'll apply the cream more often but usually a couple of times is fine as the Nivea stuff is pretty tough. 

Jenny C 27 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

Covering up is certainly the best option especially if you will be out all day on the full sun  I find my legs and arms can cope OK, but back and shoulders burn very easily. Lots of modern fabrics have built in spf protection and are very thin so no need to bear your skin too stay cool.

High factor sun cream applied generously and reapplied regularly. I have heard good reviews of the one a day creams, handy of you don't want to get messy reapplying whilst at the crag. Do be careful if using cream that it doesn't rub off, I find rucksack shoulder straps really bad for this. 

petegunn 27 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

Suncream does work very well it's just that people don't put enough on.

If you've ever watched a programme on sun cream I think most people will be shocked how much you are supposed to apply, Not just the pea sized amount which most people think is enough.

I have a friend with a rare condition who has to apply sun cream on even on overcast days here in England. Using at least two bottles a week.

marsbar 27 Dec 2018
In reply to Fiona Reid:

I use nivea kids 50+ too.  I've also successfully used the piz buin once a day stuff but I think they're not allowed to call it that now.  It isn't good for your face it causes spots. I prefer the nivea spray.  

Post edited at 11:50
 Jenny C 27 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

Refuse to use nivea as only 4 star protection.

Normally buy cheapest own brand 5 star protection I can find. Really liked asda spray oil  it's greecy to apply but soaked into skin really well. Last holiday I used superdrug spf 50 spray and found it left a sticky residue on skin. 

shantaram 27 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

Worth trying P20 sun protection. One application per day and incredibly effective. I used it on a 2 week surfing trip to Costa Rica and came back the same colour I went there. I know someone allergic to P20 so maybe try a little on your skin before smothering yourself in it. 

GDes 27 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

Are you joking? Put more on, climb in than shade, cover up. 

marsbar 27 Dec 2018
In reply to Jenny C:

4 * and spf 50 is more than adequate.  I have sensitive skin so I stick to ones I know won't give me a rash.  

OP Fakey Rocks 27 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

Pants! I edited the post to specify winter sun etc, but when I submitted it became 2 posts, and my resubmitted one has the least replies! Oh well! The replies no doubt mostly still work, thanks.

OK, will get high SPF factor stuff ( superdrugs own brand or other not tested on animals / leaping bunny labelled ones for me ) and try keeping covered. Calves, neck, start of a bald patch and stuff like that can burn easy so will try hat, long trousers too.

Post edited at 20:11
OP Fakey Rocks 27 Dec 2018
In reply to GDes:

Sorry I think you missed my winter sun edit accidentally reposted as a second post!

Probably won't wanna climb in the shade in winter, or perhaps even winter / spring in Spain requires seeking shade?

Flamingsarah 28 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

We are both pale and burn easily. The rule of thumb we use is to put cream on first thing before we go out, usually a factor 30 however we only climb in the shade, usually early morning until the sun starts to appear early afternoon. Then more cream to walk back to our studio and tend to stay in the shade relaxing rest of the day! This is Kalymnos, which we are doing in the summer this year so I’ll also lather on insect repellent ????Neither of us would climb in full sun, find it hard to belay in the sun apart from anything else! 

gravy 28 Dec 2018
In reply to Flamingsarah:

P20 or Calypso once a day (cheaper) really do work - just make sure you properly cover yourself before you go out.  It takes a bit of training yourself up / nerve to trust them though and I usually carry an tiny tube of sun block as a backup for bits I didn't cover.

Remember that when climbing the back or your body (neck, arms, knees, ankles, Achilles etc) often get a lot of exposure.

It also has the advantage you can apply before you leave and then don't have to apply greasy creams to your hands when climbing.

In reply to Fakey Rocks:

As said above, put your suncream on first thing in the morning, really slap it on.

Best tip that I can add is take an old white cotton work shirt with you. The long sleeves and collar provide good protection and it flaps around in the breeze keeping you cool. The shirt can be liberally sprayed with repellent to keep the beasts away. You will also be the smartest dressed climber at the crag.

Jenny C 28 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

A thin cotton shirt is handy to cover up, doesn't add much warmth or take up space but covers the back of neck, shoulders and upper arms which are probably most vulnerable to the sun.

Don't forget sunglasses, I find bright sunlight on pale rock gives me terrible eye stain, almost snow blindness.  I'm not a fan of hats but with dark hair find a pale coloured bandana (or buff) is actually cooler than not covering my head. 

two_tapirs 28 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

I have learnt the hard way, whilst climbing in Spain, that it's not a good idea to slap a lot of sunscreen on your forehead just before you set off up the crag.  It's really not much fun when you don't read the route properly, then go off-route, and your forehead decides that this really is the optimum time for it to start p*ssing sunblock into your eyes.

SGD 28 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

I too resemble the milky bar kid and have sunburn issues in sunnier climates.

I use P20 (30 spf) on exposed areas but I also have a sun shield top that is spf 50+ (long sleeves and a hood) and have no issues.

Sun shield type tops have been around for ages particularly in the USA but are only just catching on over here.

I think mine is by Black diamond but the missus has one by Kuhl that has a amazing ability to make you feel a couple of degree's cooler immediately after putting it on??

SGD 28 Dec 2018
In reply to two_tapirs:

same here.

Now I use a head band/buff to protect from the sun and stem the flow of sweat.

slab_happy 28 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

From personal experience, I recommend getting some of the SPF50 zinc oxide stuff in a stick. Won't leak into your bag, easy to use to top up exposed patches of skin without greasing up your hands.

Also, some kind of SPF fabric neck shield (I have fully embraced the fact that I'm never going to look cool when I climb anyway).

Howard J 28 Dec 2018
In reply to slab_happy:

Another vote for P20. I first used this when visiting Egypt, and ive used it at altitude in the Alps and Himalayas as well as for cragging on Kalymnos. Not cheap, but you use less so it works out.

In reply to Fakey Rocks:

A wide brimmed hat keeps the sun off the head, forehead, neck and ears saves a lot of money (especially for the follicly challenged) and hassle, also no sun cream to run into eyes and blind you mid crux.

I have one that fits under my climbing helmet, but if I am worried about overheating I will sometimes take it off while climbing as I don't burn too easily.

OP Fakey Rocks 28 Dec 2018
In reply to Jenny C:

> Don't forget sunglasses, I find bright sunlight on pale rock gives me terrible eye stain, almost snow blindness.  I'm not a fan of hats but with dark hair find a pale coloured bandana (or buff) is actually cooler than not covering my head. 

This is very true... I start to feel really  irritable and stressed out by the brightnesss and reflection at limestone crags in the sun, eg Portland and Malham, on cooler summer days, mid 20°c, not too hot to climb but just far too  bright to feel comfortable. 

Have only been to Buoux before, S.France, which is quite white limestone, but alot of the Spanish stuff looks more orange in colour, .... Presumably therefore less reflective so not so stressy?

Andy Gamisou 29 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

> alot of the Spanish stuff looks more orange in colour, .... Presumably therefore less reflective so not so stressy?

Might be less "stressy" but maybe still somewhat "stressy".  One of my favourite local areas to climb has orange limestone that gets the sun most of the day, and I find that I can't really climb there for any length of time if the temp is around 20C or above (which it is for 10 months of the year) because of the sun blasting off the rock.  Happy on the grey limestone areas up to around 25C.

A couple of times  on the orange stuff I've gotten a touch of sunstroke too, which I find really wipes you out for a few days - so I'd advise being on the lookout for these symptoms as the day goes on.

Post edited at 04:13

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...