UKC

Swanage & Portland Caterpillar problem still there?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ElBarto 30 May 2019

Hey,

I've been hearing a lot about the caterpillars giving people rashes & itching at Swanage and Portland recently. Are they still around? As I heard they only stick around for a short period of time.

Post edited at 04:10
 Tommy Harris 30 May 2019
In reply to ElBarto:

Haven't been to Portland in a few weeks however there were hundreds of them at Boulder Ruckle (Swanage) this weekend gone.

Mick Ward 30 May 2019
In reply to ElBarto:

Still lots of 'em wriggling around on Portland, I'm afraid. They only give me the faintest of rashes but many people suffer quite badly with them. Unfortunately, over the last few years, they seem to have been around more (milder climate??)

Mick

Climber_Bill 30 May 2019
In reply to ElBarto:

We were safe in Wallsend at the weekend. Saw lots of nests at the top in the bushes, but nothing down in Wallsend.

TJB.

Tom Valentine 30 May 2019
In reply to Mick Ward:

They should be welcomed as part of the rewilding process ( as long as they are a native species, of course}.

Post edited at 08:28
 Luke_92 30 May 2019
In reply to ElBarto:

On the 21st of May I was at Wallsend and only saw one or two at the crag. On the walk in there were shedloads though. 

Post edited at 10:08
OP ElBarto 30 May 2019
In reply to ElBarto:

Thanks for the responses all, looks like it's a bit dependant on where you go but I'm getting the feeling most places have them . Might well give the area a miss for a little while yet then.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...