UKC

Swanage and Portland caterpillars

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mikehenesy 21 Jun 2019

Can anyone give an update on the severity of the caterpillar infestation at the moment. They are a real show stopper for me so I would be most grateful for any info, cheers. 

johnl 21 Jun 2019
In reply to mikehenesy:

They seem to have thinned out a lot on Portland west side, I get affected quite badly but although I've seen them on the last four or five visits I haven't been bothered by them.

In reply to mikehenesy:

I got absolutely mothered by them a few years ago at Boulder Ruckle (it was late May) and was in agony for a week after that. Would be interested to know as well how bad the infestation is at Swanage at the moment! 

Paul Sagar 25 Jun 2019
In reply to mikehenesy:

They were EVERYWHERE in late April at Swanage. Got utterly devastated. Refuse to go back until confirmation that they have gone!

TXG 25 Jun 2019
In reply to mikehenesy:

Had a weeks holiday in Swanage in late May. They seemed to be nearly gone then (horrible webs on the bushes were all empty, only saw one live caterpillar despite doing some longish coast path walks).

Have been to Portland (cuttings) twice since and not seen any. 

Hope that helps. Best of luck.

Tom

Wimlands 25 Jun 2019
In reply to Paul Sagar:

We were there late April as well....i’ve started itching just reading your post.

Must be gone by now you would hope.

Paul Sagar 26 Jun 2019
In reply to TXG:

To think, just when I thought that the bastard Cuttings couldn't get any worse? CATERPILLAR CUTTINGS.

No. Thank. You.

In reply to mikehenesy:

I hate them and they could be around until late July. Can’t give you a latest update 

Tommy Harris 26 Jun 2019
In reply to mikehenesy:

Been going to the Ruckle for the last few weeks and they seemed to have died out a little, see quite a few at end of may but when I was there this weekend I didn't see any at all..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...