UKC

Switzerland next month

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 16 Dec 2020

Hi,

It seems that the EU is against all but essential travel into the EU from countries outside the EU as part of their C19 rules. As we are about to be outside the EU, will this mean we can't enter the EU from the end of the month for climbing? Although Switzerland is outside the EU, it seems to be joining in on these arrangements. Anyone got any insights?

Thanks. 

Mr Lopez 16 Dec 2020
In reply to David Coley:

Been discussed at length in the hovel forums here and in the news, and the gist is that though technically you are correct, nobody, including the people in charge, knows what the situation will be in 2 weeks time.

Eduardo2010 16 Dec 2020
In reply to David Coley:

Is Switzerland definitely following the EU on this as is stands? Monitoring this closely.

John Cuthbert 17 Dec 2020
In reply to David Coley:

The issue isn't simply about whether the country is in question is in the EU or not. The key designation is the 'Schengen' area with common visa and border controls. Switzerland is in Schengen, as is Norway. As things stand, no travel from Jan 1 in any Schengen area countries so long as Uk are on the EU's high risk covid list.. 

There are a number of EU countries outside 'Schengen', such as Bulgaria, where the Jan 1 blanket rule will not apply, but each country can make its on determination on access for Uk citizens...

John C

EwanR 17 Dec 2020
In reply to David Coley:

As far as I can tell, as of the 1st of January no-one from the UK will be allowed to enter Switzerland as a tourist until the covid related restrictions are lifted.

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/sem/aktuell/entry-restrictions-to-thir...

and

https://www.admin.ch/opc/en/classified-compilation/20201773/index.html

See annex 1 for the list of countries.

Ewan

Eduardo2010 17 Dec 2020
In reply to EwanR:

I had a thorough read of this and suspect you may be right from 1 Jan... bad news. Let's see if there is any update if and when there is a deal.

Pina 17 Dec 2020
In reply to EwanR:

Looks like citizenship gives an exemption to the rules. At least that's what I'm banking on next month.

veteye 17 Dec 2020
In reply to David Coley:

Just supposing you can and do go to somewhere in Europe in early 2021: How will you feel if you pick up Corona virus infection, either in the country, or en route to and from the destination?

Webster 17 Dec 2020
In reply to David Coley:

its all moot because all but essential travel OUT of the UK is currently banned due to covid restrictions, except a very few countries with travel corridors, of which the schengen zone is not. so it doesnt matter if they stop you entering, because in theory you are not supposed to be leaving the UK in the first place! of course there is nobody physically stopping you leaving the UK, whereas there might be somebody physically stopping you entering schengen.

so this news story is a storm in a tea cup...

when you are allowed to go on holiday, you will be able to go on holiday. for now, you will just have to wait. 

Mr Lopez 17 Dec 2020
In reply to Webster:

>all but essential travel OUT of the UK is currently banned due to covid restrictions, except a very few countries with travel corridors,

Pretty sure that's not right. You can leave the UK as you please. The travel corridor countries only relate as to whether you got to quarantine on return or not

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-safer-travel-guidance-for-...

Webster 17 Dec 2020
In reply to David Coley:

The UK govt formally advises against 'all but essential travel' to most countries round the world. Like i say, nobody is physically stopping you leaving the UK, but that is official as it gets to being a travel ban. Any travel insurance will be invalidated if you decide to go abroad, which is a pretty major consideration if wanting to go skiing/climbing somewhere in europe at the moment.

Mr Lopez 17 Dec 2020
In reply to Webster:

> The UK govt formally advises against 'all but essential travel' to most countries round the world.

Is not the same as

> all but essential travel OUT of the UK is currently banned due to covid restrictions

Webster 17 Dec 2020
In reply to Mr Lopez:

"The FCDO advises against all but essential travel to:

the whole of Austria based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks"

i just put in austria as an example as its near the top of the list, but the same applies to much, if not all of europe.

Webster 17 Dec 2020
In reply to Mr Lopez

> The UK govt formally advises against 'all but essential travel' to most countries round the world.

Is not the same as

> all but essential travel OUT of the UK is currently banned due to covid restrictions.

For all intents and purposes, it is. like i say, we do not live in an authoritarian state. nobody is standing at the air/ferry ports to physically stop you. but going on holiday is clearly not 'essential travel'.

Mr Lopez 17 Dec 2020
In reply to Webster:

> For all intents and purposes, it is.

No it is not. The UK government advices against smoking, yet i can buy fags in the corner shop.

There is a ban for smoking in pubs. If i tried to i would be stopped and kicked out. The landlord not enforcing it would land him a fine.

Advice does not equal ban.

> like i say, we do not live in an authoritarian state. nobody is standing at the air/ferry ports to physically stop you. but going on holiday is clearly not 'essential travel'.

If travelling was banned, that's exactly how it would be enforced.

Flying with a 20 inch machete in your hand luggage is banned. Feel free to go try doing so if you want to experience first hand the difference between a ban and advice

Post edited at 21:50
 Rob Parsons 17 Dec 2020
In reply to Webster:

> For all intents and purposes, it is.

This same point has repeatedly come up in Covid discussions here, and you are simply incorrect: 'government advice' is not the same as 'law.'

Post edited at 22:24
 HammondR 17 Dec 2020
In reply to Webster: "Any travel insurance will be invalidated if you decide to go abroad" is not correct in the circumstances you describe. My recent email from the BMC was clear that: 

"Does BMC Travel Insurance cover me if I travel against government advice? 
Yes, BMC Travel Insurance includes cover to an area where the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) has advised against “all but essential travel”, subject to local government advice. However, it excludes cover if the FCDO advise against “all travel”."

JMarkW 17 Dec 2020
In reply to HammondR:

U just beat me to it!

JMarkW 17 Dec 2020
In reply to Webster:

Maybe u need to let easyJet know?

OP David Coley 18 Dec 2020
In reply to Webster:

> The UK govt formally advises against 'all but essential travel' to most countries round the world. Like i say, nobody is physically stopping you leaving the UK, but that is official as it gets to being a travel ban. Any travel insurance will be invalidated if you decide to go abroad, which is a pretty major consideration if wanting to go skiing/climbing somewhere in europe at the moment.

Hi, not trying the comment on C19 and personal responsibility, but just on the technical side. Much of my work travel is normally to countries where the FO advises against all but essential travel. As does some of my personal travel. As others have pointed out, insurance (including the BMC) is not a problem. When the FO advises against all travel, that is much closer to a travel ban. The FO are making a very clear statement to the population by using the former rather the later in the current climate when discussing travel to most countries. 

Iamgregp 18 Dec 2020
In reply to veteye:

How will he feel?

Very fatigued, aching muscles, persistent cough, loss of smell and taste...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...