UKC

Switzerland travel update 27/11

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tonto 28 Nov 2021

As of last night (27/11) Switzerland modified Covid entry requirements when travelling from the UK, they are:-

Proof of vaccination

Proof of negative PCR test

10 day self quarantine upon arrival

All liveable with except the last one if you going for leisure & unless they reign it back will spoil a lot of holiday plans this winter-mine included, I had planned a low level walking tour.

Mike 

Post edited at 07:55
 rlrs 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Tonto:

Is it not even more strict?! Following suggests only Swiss citizens, residents or people from the Schengen area are allowed in (but I find contradicting/ambiguous statements elsewhere on official pages, also in the original German):

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pande...

kaiser 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Tonto:

Transit through GVA to France not allowed for UK passengers (excluding Swiss residents)

wbo2 28 Nov 2021
In reply to rlrs: No, that says that only Swiss nationals , residents and Schengen area can enter from countries of concern.  Unfortuneately the UK is one of those at the moment.  While that might seem pedantic best to be correct

rlrs 28 Nov 2021
In reply to wbo2:

Thanks for the necessary correction, I summarise:

People from a country identified as having a variant of concern (includes the UK) may not enter Switzerland unless they are Swiss, or have a residence permit in Switzerland or a Schengen area country.

critter 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Tonto:

Arrrrrgh!

There goes the early season ski touring warm up with friend, resident in Switzerland!

Next, the easyJet website - to see if I can get credit/refund. A sport in itself.

Post edited at 12:45
 jon 28 Nov 2021
In reply to rlrs:

Isn't there currently a referendum on whether to abandon covid measures or not?

rlrs 28 Nov 2021
In reply to jon:

There is a Covid law referendum today, but its subject is by no means "to abandon all measures". And as predicted, it has failed.

rlrs 28 Nov 2021
In reply to rlrs:

Ok, let me get it straight, the referendum topic is approval of the Covid law, and it has passed i.e. the law will remain in place.

jon 28 Nov 2021
In reply to rlrs:

Only in Switzerland would you get the result of a referendum by 4 o'clock in the afternoon!

wbo2 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Tonto:  They're nervous as they have a high , and vocal , unvaccinated cohort

jimtitt 28 Nov 2021
In reply to jon

> Only in Switzerland would you get the result of a referendum by 4 o'clock in the afternoon!

Swiss polling stations shut at 12 midday, stops the youth voting!

rlrs 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Tonto:

Ok we seem to be back now to the conditions in your original post, according to official UK and CH websites. Does not really help prospective holidaymakers as the 10 day quarantine stands.

OP Tonto 28 Nov 2021
In reply to rlrs:

Quarantine is obviously the holiday killer-I will hang on a bit before cancelling what I can. The Swiss keep changing their minds, as they did a few weeks ago when they announced that UK NHS Covid passports were not acceptable & you had to use the NHS information to get a Swiss one at a cost of 30CHF. A week later they decided the NHS one was acceptable after all.

The omicron variant has popped up in several European countries & surely will in many more-are the Swiss going to quarantine everybody? Good luck to the winter sports industry over there.

Mike

Garethza 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Tonto:

What about if you are flying to Geneva, then going straight to france - surely that doesnt really count as 'going' to switzerland?

rlrs 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Tonto:

Quarantine in Switzerland only for the countries with a variant of concern. www.bag.admin.ch to track swiss policy from the horses mouth, so to say. British embassy on facebook can be useful too.

kaiser 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Garethza:

> What about if you are flying to Geneva, then going straight to france - surely that doesnt really count as 'going' to switzerland?

Unfortunately that's not allowed.  No transit to FR from GVA for UK punters.  They won't even let you on the plane in the UK.

Message from UK ambassador to Switzerland confirms transit to France not possible without quarantine.

"Message from the Ambassador on new Swiss entry requirements
British citizens, colleagues and friends
I am sure that you will all have seen the new rules introduced overnight for travel from the UK into Switzerland. There have been some updates to early reporting, and I wanted to make sure that you were all aware of the current situation following clarification with the Bundesamt für Gesundheit (BAG) today.
All those entering Switzerland from the UK will now need to self-isolate for 10 days in the place where they are staying. They will be able to use public transport to reach the destination where they will self-isolate. They can also return to the airport within the 10 day self-isolation period to catch a flight home.
This new quarantine requirement applies regardless of age and vaccination status, and it cannot be shortened. Everyone will also need to fill in a passenger locator form, and take a COVID-19 test in the UK before travel. This can be either a PCR test (within 72 hrs) or an antigen test (within 48 hrs).
The same restrictions apply for people entering Switzerland by road if they have been in the UK in the 10 day period prior to travel.
Official Swiss websites have now been updated to it make clear that there is no change to the immigration status of British citizens. They can still enter Switzerland provided they are double vaccinated even without holding a residence or work permit.
It is important to note that anyone arriving at Geneva Airport cannot transit Switzerland (e.g. to France) without undertaking 10 days quarantine.
This is a fast moving situation, and we will continue to update you as it progresses including through our travel advice (www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/switzerland). BAG also have a helpline for people travelling to Switzerland (+41 58 464 44 8 which is available every day from 6am to 11pm."

Post edited at 18:57
 Garethza 28 Nov 2021
In reply to kaiser:

Glad I didn’t book that December ski holiday now then  

OP Tonto 28 Nov 2021
In reply to rlrs:

Thanks, that is an excellent website-far clearer & intelligible than the UKs. Last time I heard there were 3 identified cases of Omicron in the UK (1 has now left) so that bans us all from travelling to Switzerland without quarantine-can't help thinking that the country list cited is going to expand considerably if such small numbers attract these draconian restrictions

Mike

Post edited at 19:32
 kaiser 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Garethza:

> Glad I didn’t book that December ski holiday now then  

The most extreme workaround I've seen so far is re-book flights to Marseille and get the train up..

Announcement from Napoleon is due tomorrow re changes the French travel restrictions so even that may have been in vain

OP Tonto 28 Nov 2021
In reply to kaiser:

If Macron follows Switzerland that really could spoil a lot of British winter holiday plans! I think he would delight in sticking one at the UK but it would be pretty serious for the French winter sports industry which I am pretty sure enjoys an awful lot of Brit visitors..  ..but he has an election & home popularity to think about so will be interesting to see what his pronouncement is. And also what happens when an Omicron case turns up in France, Germany, Austria, Sweden, Italy, Spain, USA etc

Mike

Webster 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Tonto:

its such a mess. the tourist industry is already on its knees, i dont know if it will survive another cancelled winter...

rlrs 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Tonto:

The omikron variant possibly in Switzerland now, further tests needed to confirm:

https://www.srf.ch/news/schweiz/das-neueste-zur-coronakrise-bag-meldet-omik...

walts4 28 Nov 2021
In reply to rlrs:

> The omikron variant possibly in Switzerland now, further tests needed to confirm:

Horse, stable door, spring to mind.

OP Tonto 29 Nov 2021
In reply to rlrs:

Cases now confirmed in Germany, Italy & strongly suspected in Switzerland-how are truck drivers going to operate across borders if they adopt a similar policy to that imposed on the UK? And for that matter international trains

Mike

jimtitt 29 Nov 2021
In reply to Tonto:

Throughout the pandemic there have been special rules for professional drivers.

OP Tonto 30 Nov 2021
In reply to jimtitt:

Thank you for that information Jim-I did not know. 

Can anyone explain why Germany, now that they have at least two confirmed Omicron cases, is not on the Switzerland quarantine list? UK was immediately put on it once two cases were confirmed. 

I have visited Switzerland over 80 times in the last 30 years for walking, climbing & ski-ing-spent a fortune there in the process, so I obviously greatly admire the country & it's people but I am perplexed & disappointed at what I perceive as an anti UK stance & fail to realise their reasoning & why should it not be deployed across all countries including their immediate neighbours (of which there will be many daily commuters). Could it be self interest?

Not impressed

Mike

AlanLittle 30 Nov 2021
In reply to Webster:

> its such a mess. the tourist industry is already on its knees, i dont know if it will survive another cancelled winter...

The Austrians hope their December lockdown will be enough to save the 2022 ski season. I doubt it.

rlrs 30 Nov 2021
In reply to Tonto:

Countries without a border to Switzerland are explicitely treated differently, see asterix to the list. Necessary pragmatism? The big wigs are meeting today, out of the normal schedule, measures may therefore be changed.

OP Tonto 30 Nov 2021
In reply to rlrs:

Thanks for that, I had noticed the asterisk but considered a conclusion unclear, I copy it below

* The following applies for all countries that do not share a border with Switzerland: If a country is on the list, this includes all of its areas, islands and overseas territories – even if they are not listed separately.

What escapes me is the Swiss logic (they are usually good at that, I know them well enough) that somehow the virus observes geographical boundaries. I could travel to Germany with all documentation required for a German (other than EU citizenship) & I would not be allowed entry if I tried to cross to Switzerland, though a German resident could.

Please keep me posted with your erudite insight

Mike 

OP Tonto 30 Nov 2021
In reply to AlanLittle:

So do I,

People have to make holiday decisions & there is limited opportunity for cancellations as time advances. Given the volatility of the Covid propagation (not necessarily Omicron) in Austria & other central European countries, coupled with potential logic defying draconian restrictions that can be imposed overnight (Switzerland) I think it would be wise to cancel now. I have had some great ski trips to Ischgl, I love the whole resort & infrastructure but I would not dream of booking anything there this season but would be scrabbling to cancel if I had.

Mike  

OP Tonto 30 Nov 2021

I have just read that UK air passengers arriving in Geneva (Swiss side as many are) destined for transfer to French or Italian resorts are being denied access & have to be flown back out of Swiss territory. Not quite how that will work or how expensive it will be for them

Mike 

AlanLittle 30 Nov 2021
In reply to Tonto:

I live near the Bavarian Alps & Tyrol and am a beginner skier. Am seriously considering buying touring gear so I can spend the winter walking up & skiing down blue runs if the lifts are closed.

OP Tonto 30 Nov 2021
In reply to AlanLittle:

Loads of tourers use the edge of the pistes for uphill using skins (or in-extremis harscheissen)-good on 'em even if they aren't supposed to be there. Great aerobic workout & you can descend via mechanical infrastructure if they deign to run..  ..or back on your skis!

Mike

OP Tonto 30 Nov 2021
In reply to Tonto:

As of 11:33AM today Switzerland appears to have changed it's stance yet again:-

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/switzerland/entry-requirements

Mike

kaiser 30 Nov 2021
In reply to Tonto:

> As of 11:33AM today Switzerland appears to have changed it's stance yet again:-

> Mike

Yes indeed, good news for those of us heading for French resorts for a pre-crimbo, pre-lockdown, pre-Omnicron ski-break 

In reply to Tonto:

The WHO has just advised over 60s shouldn’t travel abroad.

Might be okay for kids… but I wonder how that will impact travel insurance if you fall into that age bracket.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/omicron-variant-who-postpone-travel-advi...

cb294 30 Nov 2021
In reply to Tonto:

> Loads of tourers use the edge of the pistes for uphill using skins (or in-extremis harscheissen)-good on 'em even if they aren't supposed to be there....

There is no law saying that the lift users and downhill skiers can monopolize pistes (at least in Germany and Austria). There are some voluntary agreements, but essentially you are free to use pistes both uphill and downhill, as long as you stick to the safety rules (i.e. stick to the edges).

CB

rlrs 30 Nov 2021
In reply to Tonto:

There are no updates to the Swiss entry requirements from the emergency meeting today (rather it focussed on tightening of domestic measures).

It is still the case that entry requirements are continuously reviewed.

Two cases of the Omicron virus are now confirmed in Switzerland.

rlrs 30 Nov 2021
In reply to rlrs:

Noteworthy that the vaccination rate of over 65's varies among the Cantons between 82% and 92%:

https://www.srf.ch/news/schweiz/impfmonitor-so-impft-die-schweiz-gegen-coro...

OP Tonto 01 Dec 2021
In reply to cb294:

Thanks for that CB

There may not be a law but I am certain I have seen, on numerous occasions, instructions that pedestrians (which will include uphill skinners) are not supposed to be on the pistes. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, you get to see them mostly when looking down travelling up on the lifts & they usually look as though they are very fit.

Correct me if I am wrong-I don't like to disseminate incorrect information & am never too old to learn.

Mike

OP Tonto 01 Dec 2021
In reply to kaiser:

The serial flip flops by the Swiss authorities appear to suggest they are not thinking their initial decisions through properly. They keep changing their minds because they got it wrong, if I were Swiss I would be disappointed in the management, I am British & certainly dismayed by their performance. Little Switzerland now making headlines in the UK national papers..  ..& not complimentary-perhaps Macron had to have a quiet word with his Swiss counterpart? 

Mike  

Suncream 03 Dec 2021
In reply to Tonto:

They've dropped the quarantine today. Starting from tomorrow, as long as you're vaccinated, you just need to do a PCR test before you arrive and another test on day 4-7.

tingle 03 Dec 2021
In reply to Suncream:

Hey, can you post a link to this? I can’t find it. Cheers! 

rlrs 03 Dec 2021
In reply to tingle:

On the same site this is the main page on the entry requirements, but it is not updated with the latest rules yet (as they state).

Maybe take note of the general restrictions too, also not updated yet:

OP Tonto 04 Dec 2021
In reply to tingle:

Here is what gov.uk says

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/switzerland/entry-requirements#ent...

Good news that the self-isolation has been dropped for all countries by the looks of it according to:-

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/de/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pande...

A bit of a faff with reporting serial tests to cantonal authority but it's miles better than quarantining.

I don't think I could be bothered since I planned to be continually moving around, I'll see if I can get a credit note from Swiss Airlines. Also the fact that the airport & plane is a probably a fairly good place to pick Covid up the consequences of failing the ongoing tests in Switzerland hardly justify the trip.

OP Tonto 04 Dec 2021
In reply to Tonto:

Swiss Authorities slagged very heavily in the Times today-they have exhibited extraordinary incompetence & much changing of incorrect thinking minds.

Mike

Webster 29 Dec 2021
In reply to Tonto:

the whole situation has lacked a large degree of 'swiss efficiency'...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...