UKC

Sydney Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rob.s22 19 Jan 2013
Going to Sydney with five days spare, looking to hire a camper and head up to the Blue Mountain area, anyone recommend a camper hire company? Looking for a 2 berth with an awning and double bed. Thanks in advance!
OP rob.s22 19 Jan 2013
In reply to rob.s22: Any particular spots particularly good for a rest day walk/chill would be awesome. Ta
 turtlespit 19 Jan 2013
In reply to rob.s22: when are you visiting? It's summer here at the moment and temperatures have jumped into the 40s recently so be prepared for that if you're coming soon. (Though it was only low 20s in the mountains yesterday)

Are you looking to climb whilst here? Or just wanting to see the area?

Not sure of all the campervan options. Jucy.com.au is one I've seen but not heard any reports on. Try post on www.chockstone.org for Aus campervan recommendations.

Bouldering Ben 20 Jan 2013
In reply to rob.s22: Wicked Campers are good and cheap!
OP rob.s22 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Bouldering Ben: Sweet thanks folks. Heading out in March hopefully the temperature will have begun to drop sightly.
 chris fox 20 Jan 2013
In reply to rob.s22:

Mt Victoria is a good spot to put your campervan at for the night (about 10 mins past Blackheath), there are plenty of walks from there. You could also pull into the Shipley/ centennial Glenn carpark, walks there up past the glenn/wave wall, or down Porter pass and along.

If you are after good walks, there is a book "blue mountains on foot" ISBN 1864365307. Which has 15 or 20 walks (I've one at home) and cover walks from 1hr to 8hrs and easy to difficult.

Chris
 turtlespit 20 Jan 2013
In reply to rob.s22: March is probably a good time to visit. It can still be hot by British standards, so selecting the right crag makes a difference. A lot of the crags face west, so they're fine in the morning, but you'll want to move once the sun hits them on a warm day. Good sheltered/east facing crags are Centennial Glen, Logan Brae, Boronia Point.

The Blue mountains is more of a sport destination as well. There is trad around, but be aware that the rock is softer, so protection is not as bomber. (There was an accident over xmas/new year where a couple visiting from inter-state were not aware of this)

Also, an alternative to the campervan is to just catch the train from Sydney to Blackheath (single is around $A8), and stay in Blackheath climbing at the crags nearby.
 Smithy_P 20 Jan 2013
In reply to rob.s22: Juicy campers are what we used whilst out there, mainly because they would insure under 25's cheaply
Jimmybarr 20 Jan 2013
In reply to rob.s22: Another vote for Wicked Campers
 maresia 20 Jan 2013
In reply to rob.s22:

I really enjoyed walking the 6 foot trail from Katoomba to the Jenolan caves. It's about 28 miles and we didn't see anyone else the whole way. Plenty of wildlife as well.
OP rob.s22 21 Jan 2013
I'm flying with limited baggage so minimal kit. Thought the camper would mean less stuff to take, also the freedom to move easily.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations.
OP rob.s22 21 Jan 2013
In reply to turtlespit: Hey, in reality I'll have limited kit so a chance to see the place and soak up the landscape would be just as good. Thanks for the heads up on the chockstone forums. Thinking of walking the 6 foot trail, not sure logistics though, might need kit I won't have. Need to do some more research.

Thanks again for your help.
 turtlespit 21 Jan 2013
In reply to rob.s22: can understand the limited kit... that weight allowance disappears quickly. I'd bring your shoes+harness - shouldn't be too hard to find somebody to sport climb with.
 climber34neil 21 Jan 2013
In reply to rob.s22: hi, don't know if this helps but I got the train from Sydney to katoomba, plenty if places to stay there then also got train to blackheath then can walk to the crags from there so it's all easily accessible by public transport
OP rob.s22 22 Jan 2013
In reply to climber34neil: Hey, thanks man. UKC what a resource! Really appreciate the suggestions.
Tim Chappell 22 Jan 2013
In reply to climber34neil:
> (In reply to rob.s22) hi, don't know if this helps but I got the train from Sydney to katoomba,

Me too. Very simple and cheap way to get to the mountains from Sydney. Quick, too: I only had 8 hours to play with, and thanks to the train I spent 6 of them in the Blue Mts and 2 travelling.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...