UKC

/ Teide, Tenerife

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Arbu - on 11 May 2018

I want to climb Teide, but all permits and beds are sold out for the time I will be there. Could I take a tent up there, spend the night somewhere discreet, and go up really early (or for sunset )? I don't know why , out of all the walkable mountains in the world, this one is so special that you need a permit. 

Spartacus on 12 May 2018
In reply to Arbu:

If you go ‘out of hours’ the top is not Policed. The people who check permits go up on the first cable car and come down with the last. 

The reason for the permit system is the actual top is quite a small area and badly eroded. Punters are prevented from falling off by a few chains in place. I don’t agree generally with over regulation, but I can see the necessity in this case as literally thousands per day go up on the cable car.

The ascent via the mountain hut is spectacular and takes about 3-4 hours from road.

PPP - on 12 May 2018
In reply to Spartacus:

Another reason for permits is the fact that you can take a cable car from 2000m(ish) asl straight to 3500m(ish) asl, leaving you with few hundred meters to climb. Given how busy the cable car is, I am not against the permits - it'd be far too dangerous to allow everyone climb it without any acclimatisation whatsoever (especially when almost all resorts/hotels are at sea level!). 

I wouldn't camp given how rough the terrain is and there's no water sources whatsoever (refuge has a vending machine, but it's at least few euros per 500ml bottle). If you can't get a booking in the hut and you're fit, I would just go for a night ascent all the way from the bottom. Take some warm clothing if you do so - it's not particularly warm. 

It's not the most spectacular (and quite busy when we did it) mountain and you won't have a sunrise for yourself - there will be 30-40 people who spent a night in the refuge. People at the refuge and trail weren't particularly nice either - maybe just bad luck. 

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4199/34856005130_3e64494acc_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4250/34399011994_2d654b44c8_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4244/34399017194_2b71154eb6_o.jpg

Arbu - on 12 May 2018
In reply to Spartacus:

Thanks. I'd quite like to visit Pico Viejo too. So I see two options:

1. Take the refuge trail at around 2am, go to the top, then to Pico Viejo, then walk down to the Parador then walk or hitch back to my car.

2. Walk from the Parador up to Pico Viejo during the day, camp there then go to the top around 4am. Take the cable car down and walk back to my car. 

Any comments? Is water available at the cable car station and refuge?

NaCl - on 12 May 2018
In reply to Arbu:

My OH and I did what you are talking about. Left the car in the afternoon at the Parador and walked past Roque de Garcia and up walk 39 towards Pico Viejo and took a detour up to the top. From there we headed over and chucked a bivvy bag down above the cable car on Teidi. Totally do-able. Depending on when you're doing it don't underestimate the warm clothes - we did it in the warmest jan for ages with plenty and there was a few times where we wished we had more. 

Take spare batteries for the torches. Dunno about the other paths but the one we were on was marked by spots of paint  that were hard enough to spot sometimes with good light. Last thing I'd say is the way we went had as much in common with scrambling as walking  in places and took pretty much exactly the 8hrs suggested so don't assume it'll be a piece of p*ss (I did as I usually blow through suggested times and was surprised). Most of that path was fine but the top gets quite rock hoppy and we were tired and starting to feel slightly altitudey. I suspect in the daytime and pre 1am it'd be a lot easier though. 

Take food and water - plenty of it. We took a sleeping bag and a bivvy bag each but a little weight for a lot more comfort is worth it imo. Wouldn't take a tent though 

Post edited at 10:07
Arbu - on 12 May 2018
In reply to NaCl:

Thanks for that, looks like the way to go. I'm going next week. Forecast minimum temperature at sea level for the coming days is only 16C. So at 3700m it should theoretically go down to 16-7*3.7 = -10C. I suspect it won't go quite as cold as that but still a bivvy bag and a v. warm sleeping bag sound necessary.

I've previously found water on very dry mountains as run-off at the base of snow patches. I would have thought this ought to be possible on Teide in May, but won't count on it.

NaCl - on 12 May 2018
In reply to Arbu:

" previously found water on very dry mountains as run-off at the base of snow patches. " 

No idea what its like up there at the moment but there was no snow at all up there when we were there. It was just really b*stard cold and windy in exposed positions. Great view when the sun comes up and undoubtedly one of the highlights of our holiday though.

Sean Kelly - on 12 May 2018
In reply to Arbu:

Do it on Christmas Day as the lift is closed so no wardens! At least it was when I went up.

gilesf - on 13 May 2018
In reply to Arbu:

I'm just interested, are you going to be sleeping in just a bivvy bag in what could be -10°c, or am I just reading the post wrong?

ebygomm - on 13 May 2018
In reply to Arbu:

Guided trips often still have spaces as some permits are kept back for them. That was the option we ended up going with on our third trip to Tenerife when weather had conspired against us previous times. Whilst a guided trip wasn't our first choice, I'm glad we did it rather than miss out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83246699@N00/30893207320/in/album-72157677006542386/

goldmember - on 13 May 2018
In reply to ebygomm:

Are there any races up? 

Arbu - on 13 May 2018
In reply to gilesf:

No, with a very good sleeping bag too. But I'm thinking more in favour of doing a guided tour even if it only allows me 15 minutes on the top. Then I could walk down via Pico Viejo during the day. Taking a sleeping bag will mean I have to book check-in luggage which is hassle, and strangely expensive on the flights I have booked.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.