UKC

Time to get from Kos airport to Kaly ferry ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 19 Aug 2021

Jet 2 have changed the time of my flight now not landing until 20:30 one hour before the last ferry departs. What is the likelihood of getting to the boat on time? And are there any sensible options if I have to overnight to catch the first one next morning? Thanks

Sean_J 19 Aug 2021
In reply to kevin stephens:

Probably zero, give all the faff with actually getting off the plane and queueing for passport control, collecting bags etc. It's possible to stay somewhere near the ferry terminal though, have done that in the past. Can't remember the place but there's plenty to choose from.

In reply to Sean_J: yep thought so, thanks. Fortunately the change came with an offer of full refund so I can look for a better deal

Andy Chubb 19 Aug 2021

The last ferry to Kalymnos used to wait for the last flight, so if that’s still the case you might be ok.

In reply to Andy Chubb: I think that may be just for charter flights which will include some passengers on a flight+accommodation deal?

mik82 19 Aug 2021

Every time I've been to Kalymnos the ferry has waited for the last flights. 

We stayed once in Mastichari as it was Greek Orthodox Easter, but otherwise got the last ferry even if we were arriving after 9pm (we've always arrived Saturday night).

If you were stuck there's loads of accommodation in Mastichari

Post edited at 21:50
In reply to mik82:

> Every time I've been to Kalymnos the ferry has waited for the last flights. 

I’ve been caught out before on the assumption the ferry would wait for the last flight - it did not!

Although finding somewhere to stay late at night with no booking was fairly easy so that was good at least. 

mik82 19 Aug 2021
In reply to Stuart Williams:

We must have been lucky then! We've often got there and been waiting for an hour or so after it was supposed to be leaving. Have been prepared to stay overnight in any case.

In reply to mik82:

What I can’t remember is if our flight was delayed or anything. We were certainly surprised to get caught out

mike reed 20 Aug 2021
In reply to Stuart Williams:

Unfortunately, there is no definitive answer to this. There’s no logic, rhyme or reason to how they run the ferries. None. 
In all honesty, you won’t know for sure until you get there and see a ferry, or not. 
Having said that, if your flight lands on time and you can get through passport control quickly, grab bags and get in a taxi, its only a short drive and very possible to get to the ferry on time. Just see how it goes and be prepared to find a room in Mastihari.
Good luck

Olaf Prot 20 Aug 2021
In reply to mike reed:

When I missed the ferry the first time I went to Kaly I slept on the conveniently located sunloungers on the beach...but that might be frowned on by the locals?

Cog 20 Aug 2021

Last time we went we booked a room in Mastihari beforehand. We checked in then went for a beer and got the ferry in the morning. I thought it was more relaxing than worrying about missing the ferry or arriving at Kalymnos in the dark.

Post edited at 10:08
 JLS 20 Aug 2021

>"What is the likelihood of getting to the boat on time?"

I'd say the odds are pretty good. I don't think I've ever taken more than an hour from touch down to ferry.

The one time the ferry was cancelled due to wind, it was easy to find cheap rooms for the night in Mastihari on the usual hotel booking web sites.

Iamgregp 20 Aug 2021

I'd say that's tight mate... Year before last we got absolutely f!cked waiting for the luggage to come out, took well over an hour to even make it to the carousel.

I sent everyone else ahead to go get on the ferry and tell it to wait, but eventually they just had to go - the weather was getting up and the previous one had been cancelled so I think they felt that if they didn't go now they never would.  I got to Mastahari about 20 minutes after they left....

Way too late to find anywhere to book in to stay for the night, found a bar and the owner asked around for me but there was nothing doing.  Spent the night kipping on a sun lounger on the beach, using the groundsheet for my rope as a blanket.  

Was alright to be fair, slept quite well, no doubt helped by the huge quantity of beer I downed in that bar I just mentioned.

Iamgregp 20 Aug 2021
In reply to Olaf Prot:

Nah it's fine - they recommended it to me!

When the lady came by cleaning them in the morning she said "no problem, no charge for overnight!"

Heike 20 Aug 2021

Usually they wait, but I have also dossed on the sun loungers at the beach close to Kos ferry terminal to get the next day ferry.

Post edited at 12:39
 Iamgregp 20 Aug 2021
In reply to Heike:

We should start some kind of club, print badges or something...

Anyone else a member of the Kos Lounger Dossers Club?

Heike 20 Aug 2021
In reply to Iamgregp:

Good idea! They were very friendly there. We were forewarned and had brought a few thin sleeping bags seeing that we had our 4 year old in tow as well. Wish I was there now!!!

Iamgregp 20 Aug 2021
In reply to Heike:

Me too, me too!  Wish I was there so much!

Good idea on the sleeping bags!

Awesome that you were there with your 4 year old, we just had our first in June and are looking at going again this year, though technically she was with us when we were there last September, we just didn't know it at the time!

Heike 20 Aug 2021
In reply to Iamgregp:

Good luck! Let's hope we can be moving freely again soon. To those lovely places.

Anyone got a link to the timetables for October ferries from KOS to Kalymnos? It's confusing trying to figure out when they actually leave. 

Is it best to just rock up, or pre book? 

Iamgregp 20 Aug 2021
In reply to GripsterMoustache:

They publish it here https://climbkalymnos.com but be aware of the dates as they change month to month, so just make sure the timetable you're looking at is valid for when you're there!

No need to book, just rock up, they generally squeeze everyone on

In reply to Iamgregp:

Brilliant, thank you! 

tjekel 20 Aug 2021

currently the last ferry leaves at 11pm... you should be fine. 

In reply to tjekel: not in October 

Martin Bennett 21 Aug 2021

I had just that long one time when travelling alone. Luckily my bag came thru in moments, I ran to the taxis getting ahead of others and asked the driver "can you make the ferry?" which he did, frightening me to death in the process and driving round the harbour wall to put his front wheel on the boat's loading ramp to stop it going without me.

Another time, also alone (just call me Billy!) I was way too late but just went into a bar and asked "who does b&b"? and sure enough the barman's mother in law was rung up and I was accommodated & fed before the morning ferry.

Post edited at 10:25

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...