UKC

Toix - Missing Routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 01 Dec 2012
I am trying to locate some route on the Toix (Calpe) cliffs that have appeared in the logbooks but with no indication of where they actually are.

Has anyone done/knows the whereabouts of

1) Another Green Route F5 (may be out of one of my old guides?)

2) A New Route F4+ "Start at the left of the slab to a tree belay"

3) aluxuplala F6a

4) box of delights ** 5+

5) hasim F4+

6) La Senda de los Huesos F6b (5 pitches!)

7) Calamardo F7a+

Cheers

Chris

RichardP 01 Dec 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs:
Hi Chris,

I don't know this crag and the grades that are detailed are on the whole are to hard for me.

However I know that on Stanage for example have a great may traversing routes are no longer get listed in modern guide books, as a leader would climb across several routes. This is done to avoid problems with one party congesting five or six routes (or even more), these traversing routes are omited from the guidebook.

I hope this helps and good luck attempting to trackdown the lost routes.

Richard
 Offwidth 01 Dec 2012
In reply to Richard Phelan:

The only important one I can think of is the Stanage High Neb Traverse at Severe (which was never that clear...some versions took you across The Dalesman at HVS)? What others??
 RichardP 01 Dec 2012
In reply to Offwidth:
Off the top of my head I'm not sure which routes have been omitted.

However casting my mind back to the old climbing Magazine "High"
there was an article titled "The traverse of Stanage Edge". As the name suggests it talked about linking routes and generally making the whole crag as a traverse. where there are breaks in the crag there is oviously walks between the outcrops. I can't remember when the article was published but it was proberly 1996-1997

It also discussed the now omitted routes as traverse routes along Stanage edge and it detailed lots of routes that had fallen along the wasteside.
 Andy Say 01 Dec 2012
Looks like they might be on Stanage, then, Chris
 jon 01 Dec 2012
In reply to Andy Say:

> 2) A New Route F4+ "Start at the left of the slab to a tree belay"

I saw this one in Buis last week.
OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 01 Dec 2012
In reply to Andy Say:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
> Looks like they might be on Stanage, then, Chris

Indeed! When I start to rewrite Eastern Grit and have questions about Stanage's esoteric traverses I must remember to ask about the Toix cliffs at Calpe

Chris
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 01 Dec 2012

Calamardo is my route Chris...!

Oh, and I've done La Senda de los Huesos (in fact I spotted the line of Calamardo when doing it).

The latter is a traverse from the right hand end (looking in) of the ledge beneath the old fisherman's ladder (Magical Mystery Tour sector), to arrive at the left hand end of Pirates of the Carribean sector, at the half height belays.

If you want to include these routes, email me a topo and I'll add the lines. But be warned, Calamardo was climbed ground up and is what the locals call a "clean climb" (and therefore of possibly limited interest to the average holidaymaker).

Neil
OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Neil Foster:

Thanks for that Neil, I noticed you name in the Log Book and would have got in touch. So which is the traverse, where is the 'other' and are they both trad?

Chris
OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Dec 2012

OK - I have sussed that Hueso is a five pitch traverse and the other is a 7a+ on trad gear. Is the traverse bolted - I suspect not?

Cheers

Chris
 Offwidth 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Richard Phelan:

That one is in, as are most of the others.
 Offwidth 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: You never know where these threads might lead. I quite like Toix but personally, given the choice, I'll take an obscure traverse on Stanage any day. Sort of like comparing ITV with BBC4.
OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs) You never know where these threads might lead. I quite like Toix but personally, given the choice, I'll take an obscure traverse on Stanage any day.

Really, "any day" in November or December?

Chris
 Offwidth 03 Dec 2012

Now you'd have me there except that if I could get away for a week or two's holiday I'd be in the US desert at Red Rocks or Joshua Tree (where Im off next Thursday) which in TV terms would be a critically acclaimed HBO mini-series. Even if I was in the Alicante area I'd be seeking out longer routes (ie watching evening ITV over daytime ITV).
OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
>
> Now you'd have me there except that if I could get away for a week or two's holiday I'd be in the US desert at Red Rocks or Joshua Tree (where Im off next Thursday) which in TV terms would be a critically acclaimed HBO mini-series. Even if I was in the Alicante area I'd be seeking out longer routes (ie watching evening ITV over daytime ITV).

Nice to have the choice!

We don't have a TV in Kalymnos, and even if we did, I wouldn't watch it. life's too short.

Chris
 Offwidth 03 Dec 2012

I work hard for the choice and want my monies worth out of holidays. Kalymnos (etc) is your job.

I also love a good TV show: life's never too short to make time for good art and even lesser art can be a welcome distraction when you need to wind down.
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 05 Dec 2012
OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Neil Foster:

Cheers Neil, they looks great, I'll pass the info over to AJ to see if there is space - it is getting late!

Chris

PS What are you doing taking a Trad Rack to the Blanca - strange?
 Offwidth 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Neil Foster:

I must admit that looks brilliant. What is it in UK currency?
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Offwidth:

La Senda de los Huesos (the traverse) - E1 perhaps?

Calamardo - E4...?

Hard to say, really. I don't have a UK trad-grading head on when I'm climbing in Spain!

Neil
 JimGoodman 08 Dec 2012

Another Green Route is on page 43 of Your Costa Blanca Climbs 1990 at Toix West.

Regards

Jim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...