UKC

Top rope spots for beginners within Bristol?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dvidg 11 May 2022

Looking for some route recommendations! Some friends (indoor-only climbers) are visiting me in Bristol soon and have asked to have a go climbing outdoors. The situation:

• I've got all my sport gear, a fair bit of trad kit, and a selection of ropes (including 20m of static line I've used plenty of times for tree anchors).
  • Ideally we'd use somewhere with the option to walk or abseil to the top since my normal trad partner isn't free to belay me up anything.
  • We're limited on time and transport so I'd prefer to stay within Bristol, so I was thinking perhaps Blaise Castle or the Leigh Woods quarries.
  • I've got the Avon Gorge, South West Climbs and North Somerset Outcrops guidebooks.

My initial thoughts: Drip Dry Wall, Partygoers Wall or Entrance Slabs in Quarry 2; Elephant Rock or Lover's Leap in Blaise castle; or Left Sector in Quarry 3.

Mark Storey 11 May 2022
In reply to dvidg:

Frome valley. There is a buttress near the old Frenchay bridge that has been used by groups for years. Also the cave crag just up from Snuff mills, before you cross the river is good. 

The Pylon King 11 May 2022
In reply to dvidg:

Elephant Rock at Blaise would work.

PaulJepson 11 May 2022
In reply to dvidg:

Drip dry is easy to set up top ropes but there are no easy routes on it and they tend to follow gurty dirty cracks so would be tough for indoor climbers. 

If you could travel to the Wye you would open up a lot more (and nicer) options.

Paul at work 11 May 2022
In reply to dvidg:

The obvious option is the RHS of Sea Walls, over used for this sort of thing, but fits with your constraints. 

In reply to Paul at work:

Assuming you want to put them off climbing for life, this option should work well.

jcm

Paul at work 11 May 2022
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

It doesn't appear to put that many people off.... Which does surprise me.

Post edited at 14:50
OP dvidg 11 May 2022
In reply to Mark Storey:

Do you know the name of this crag on UKC? Sounds interesting.

Dave Garnett 11 May 2022
In reply to dvidg:

Portishead Quarry?  Do you need to bottom-rope? (It might be a bit high to do that easily, although I'm pretty sure I've done it in the past). 

PaulJepson 11 May 2022
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Its tricky to get to the bolted belays from the top. I did it when I was adding rings to the staples and did an ab from the top of Brink with several re-directs. I think you could top-rope to the BB with a 60 maybe, so in theory it could work but you wouldn't want to come down from the top if the crag was busy with climbers.

Should go without saying but please use your own krabs if top-roping to the BBs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...