UKC

uist/south uist

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flamingsarah 11 Apr 2020

We have booked to spend a fortnight in some beautiful accommodation in South Uist at the of July (and will hopefully still get there!). The idea is for a retreat ( more needed than ever given that I’m front line NHS) with exploring climbing in that area. We have all the guidebooks and aren’t world class climbers by any stretch of the imagination, mid grade with trad and better at sport. Would welcome any recommendations for some easy~mid grade spots in the area. We have transport and willing to drive around a bit.

thanks!  

Cog 11 Apr 2020
In reply to Flamingsarah:

Do you have the SMC download for the Uists?

I've done a little climbing in North Uist and South Uist in January one year.

I would take a couple of trips to Barra for climbing, there is a lot of good rock there. Return for a car is about £22 (plus £11 per person).

Matt Podd 11 Apr 2020

South Uist is amazing. I had a long run over the big hills there and it was superb - no one else and views one side to Torridon and beyond and St Kilda the other side. The beaches on the west coast are huge and endless. Walk down to the very remote south of the island. Go over to Eriskay - loveliest small island. Jealous - hope you get there.

OP Flamingsarah 11 Apr 2020
In reply to Matt Podd:

Hi Matt wow that sounds just up my street. Was supposed to be in Torridon right now 😔so I’ll keep everything crossed that we get there! I’ll add some beach barbecues and maybe some swimming to the to do list. Thanks so much. 

Post edited at 19:48
OP Flamingsarah 11 Apr 2020
In reply to Cog:

Hi Cog, yes my husband is fully equipped with all guides and the SMC download. Thanks for the tip about Barra, we will dream about it as we read about it until we hopefully get there! 

Speed Reed 12 Apr 2020

All of it up there is amazing but you need to do everything you can to make sure you get St Kilda. Simply put it is astonishing.The flora and fauna and also the ethnographic aspect is amazing.

nniff 13 Apr 2020

I spent a bit of time working up there a good few years ago.  Having been told that it never snowed up there by my hosts I woke up on Saturday morning to find snow on the beach.  A walk up Hecla seemed like a good idea.  I had to wade though heather and snow  up the ridge until it got waist deep and I could barely make any progress.  I decided that this was ridiculous and that I should get back down.  I turned round to face the wind that had so far been pushing me up the hill, leaned into it, lifted one foot up and just hung there in the gale.  I tried some more and made about three yards of progress, if that.  If I lifted up a foot high enough to clear the snow and heather I just got blown over backwards.  Off to one side of the ridge was the wrong side of the island.  It had started to rain so hard that I couldn't look into it.  I couldn't go up, I couldn't go back, which meant that down the remaining side of the ridge I would go.  I had one axe, and an exciting few hours ensued in the way that these things tend to go.  It remains my toughest mountain day, failing to get up a hill that is 606m high.

craig h 13 Apr 2020

If you're off to Barra from South Uist, especially with a car it's worth booking the ferry a bit in advance. There are 2 crossings, but they do get booked up quick in the summer months.

Probably get on as foot passenger at short notice, but then it's getting to the crags on the island. Can recommend booking a days sea kayaking on Barra, great way to see the island and wildlife, again worth booking in advance.

Have a great time (hopefully) a beautiful place.

Cog 13 Apr 2020
In reply to craig h:

There are five crossings each day on the summer timetable, only two at the moment because of the virus restrictions.

scoth 13 Apr 2020

We went at the end of July 2 years ago. I'm not sure what the climbing is like, but the snorkelling is truly amazing. If you're interested, DM me and I'll be more than happy to send details.

OP Flamingsarah 14 Apr 2020
In reply to Speed Reed:

Thank you Speed Reed, that sounds really good.

In reply to nniff:

Hi, oh wow I bet that day will remain a memory! I hope that it’s ‘just’ midges that we have to contend with if/when we get there! 

In reply to craig h:

Hi Craig, thank you for this, we’ve noted it. Really hope we can get there. 

In reply to scoth:

Thanks scoth, will bear this in mind.

craig h 14 Apr 2020
In reply to Cog:

Sorry meant 2 ferry routes to Barra, well one from South Uist and the other from Eriskay to Barra.

Both have multiple crossings a day, but if you want to take a car worth booking in advance.

climb41 14 Apr 2020
In reply to Speed Reed:

> All of it up there is amazing but you need to do everything you can to make sure you get St Kilda. Simply put it is astonishing.The flora and fauna and also the ethnographic aspect is amazing.

^^^ this....St Kilda is amazing. Try to get there if you can, not too many people have been there. 

Feel sad reading this post, we were meant to be in Harris for the next couple of weeks, obvs cancelled. Love the Outer Hebrides, but sshhh, don’t tell everyone.....

OP Flamingsarah 16 Apr 2020
In reply to craig h:

Thank you 🤗

OP Flamingsarah 16 Apr 2020
In reply to climb41:

Definitely. We were both supposed to be in Torridon this week but cancelled too. Very much looking forward to outer Hebrides, fingers crossed we get there. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...