UKC

UKC Advanced Crag Search

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Read 05 Apr 2021

Can anyone get this to work?

Quite reasonably imho given the wind direction this week, I'd like to find a sheltered SE facing crag within say 20km of a location. It just returns all crags (and hills!?!), with no filtering at all except by distance.

e.g. https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/?g=0&loc=kendal&dist=20&... 

petegunn 05 Apr 2021
In reply to Jon Read:

Quite often the direction a crag faces is missing from the crag info or has been added as facing "all". So unfortunately lots will come up in your search, maybe check with your guide book to confirm the direction.

Post edited at 10:16
OP Jon Read 05 Apr 2021
In reply to petegunn:

There's more to it than that, unfortunately. For instance, Farleton Crag comes up in that search, when it's definitely in the data base as West facing.

petegunn 05 Apr 2021
In reply to Jon Read:

Your right, I just tried W facing crags only and got many with N, NE, S aspects very few W facing crags.

Maybe email the guys at ukc to see if some new code could be added to make the search work, it would be a very usual tool. 

OP Jon Read 05 Apr 2021
In reply to petegunn:

Will do. It's only taken me until today to realise the compass points in the returns are NOT crag facing direction, but direction from search location.

In reply to Jon Read:

Thanks for flagging this. There was a bug that wasn't honouring the "advanced" criteria.
Have also fixed the distance value resetting to 50 every time.

As the compass bearing thing is a bit confusing, I added a "faces: X" to the little box that names the crag.

hopefully this helps, let me know if you have any more issues?

tjekel 05 Apr 2021
In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH:

Great addition, specifically for planning a trip! 

OP Jon Read 05 Apr 2021

Thanks so much, Andy. Unfortunately, it still doesn't seem to honour the direction condition (this shouldn't depend on cookies or the like should it?)

In reply to Jon Read:

Sorry yep just noticed that, should work this time!

If it still doesn't work, try visiting this to clear your cache: https://www.ukclimbing.com/clear_cache.php

OP Jon Read 05 Apr 2021

It works! Sheltered climbing assured!

tjekel 07 Apr 2021

Hi, I experience a minor problem that may be related to the work you have done lately.

- If I go to advanced search, and look for crags with a specific exposure, this works perfectly ok.

- However, if I later use ordinary search, it seems to still consider the crag exposure without letting me know, and only returns a fraction of the crags within the given radius. I have to actively reset the crag exposure within advanced search.

Is this an individual problem due to my missing IT skills, or something that has to do with database settings?

Great work you do by the way! 

In reply to tjekel:

Yea I can see how that would be annoying!

I've tweaked it so if any of the advanced options are set, they are shown (rather than auto collapsing every time you search. Hopefully this should clear up the confusion

cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...