UKC

Van living in Spain ATM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Delyth 15 Mar 2020

Hi everyone.

My boyfriend and I are currently in Catalonia living in our van.
Obviously Spanish news is telling us that we can’t travel or be outside. 
I was just wondering if anyone else is in the same predicament? 
Can we travel to the border? Should we literally be sitting in the van where we are? 
We were expecting the restrictions to come in at 8 am on Monday but they’ve come in now. 
Has anyone on here had any interaction with police yet or tried to move around? 

thanks for any information you can provide.

Post edited at 11:21
 bandit12 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Delyth:

Were in same situation and have decided to head to France, as it seems have most northern European travellers, based on motorway traffic. Better than sitting in van unable to do anything for two plus weeks. We filled up with fuel this morning and were asked to stand away while the attendant filled up. It seems that motorway service areas/ restaurants are shut. 

OP Delyth 15 Mar 2020
In reply to bandit12:

Thanks for your reply. Have you been stopped and asked where your traveling to? 

annasmilesaway 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Delyth:

Just posted an almost identical message so I'll be keeping an eye on yours too! 

Apparently french borders will be closed tomorrow (likely midnight tonight)

OP Delyth 15 Mar 2020
In reply to annasmilesaway:

> Just posted an almost identical message so I'll be keeping an eye on yours too! 

> Apparently french borders will be closed tomorrow (likely midnight tonight)

Hi! Where are you based at the moment? Are you going to try and get into France then? 

danm 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Delyth:

Friends have reported from several locations (Margalef, Suirana, Albarracin) that police have visited climbers in vans, told them the crags are now closed and to self isolate for the next 15 days, but that driving to the border is OK. Those who got there on a UK-Spain ferry are reporting that they can't book an earlier ferry home online and that you can't get through on the phone. So it sounds like either sitting it out or taking a punt that France doesn't fully lock down and going for a long drive home.

annasmilesaway 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Delyth:

Hey, we're in the Costa Blanca.

There's no point us going to France as ferries out aren't running and our ferry is from Bilbao. 

Dont really want to race for the border either...

OP Delyth 15 Mar 2020

That’s fair enough! 
Good luck

OP Delyth 15 Mar 2020
In reply to danm:

Thanks for this info

bandit12 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Delyth:

We're just filling with fuel before crossing border, friends who have just left Costa Blanca posted on FB to say they were stopped at roadside checkpoint and asked where they were traveling to, they truthfully said England and were given thumbs up and allowed on there way. I expect you could get more awkward questions if you weren't travelling in the general direction of a border etc. 

Ciro 15 Mar 2020
In reply to danm:

> Friends have reported from several locations (Margalef, Suirana, Albarracin) that police have visited climbers in vans, told them the crags are now closed and to self isolate for the next 15 days, but that driving to the border is OK. Those who got there on a UK-Spain ferry are reporting that they can't book an earlier ferry home online and that you can't get through on the phone. So it sounds like either sitting it out or taking a punt that France doesn't fully lock down and going for a long drive home.

My sister's down near Valencia and was told they would be taking registrations, and the vans weren't to move.

Presume you'll have questions to answer of you arrive at another Spanish vanlife site after the lockdown has started if your reg has been logged, but you'll be OK wherever you park up if you've not been clocked yet. 

marsbar 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Delyth:

The channel tunnel is still running.  France has closed public gatherings and non essential shops.  I believe food shops are still open.  

marsbar 15 Mar 2020

If you are ok where you are then I guess stay put is fine too. 

john arran 15 Mar 2020
In reply to anyone:

If it's still possible to cross into France from Spain, we have plenty of accommodation here in Ariège we'd be happy to offer to anyone in need for a small contribution towards running costs. No idea whether climbing will still be permitted on French crags for long but there are crags just a few minutes from the back garden and worst case we have a decent training wall. So if you need somewhere to weather the virus storm then get in touch.

Wft 15 Mar 2020
In reply to john arran:

Good on you, John.

James FR 16 Mar 2020
In reply to john arran:

The rumours are that France will be in full lockdown in the next 24-48 hours.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...