UKC

Vauxhall Vivaro 2016 as climbers van

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 purple sue 10 Apr 2021

Is anyone currently using a Vauuxhall Vivaro as a climbers van? I'm considering buying a 2016 model and getting it converted. Lots of decisions regardiing layout inside, so would be interested on hearing/seeing what other people have done with a similar model. It would be to sleep 1 or 2.

Alex Riley 10 Apr 2021
In reply to purple sue:

I converted a swb vivaro last year. We sold it when we finished converting it as we found it a bit small for us and larger than expected Labrador (he was a small puppy when we bought it). 

We had a kitchen along the drivers side wall, no bulkhead and a pullout bed that was slightly narrower than a uk double bed. With the swb it’s a little tricky to fit a fridge without loosing too much bed width. 

If your intended use is occasional weekends away or euro trips (good weather), the it would probably be fine, however having had a larger van I know which I prefer!

There are some pictures here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-wo5BljPLf/?hl=en

I’ve converted a few vans (working on a lab sprinter for a friend currently), if you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email.

Post edited at 15:16
 Rick Graham 10 Apr 2021
In reply to purple sue:

I would advise to do some research into vivaro engines and their ability to self destruct .  The engine types might have varied over the years but there is probably a very good reason that you rarely see older reg ones on the road.

I know quite a few tradesmen who have had to write off vehicles rather than spend a fortune on engine fixes.

mwr72 10 Apr 2021
In reply to purple sue:

I'm on my second vivaro, I gave my first, a 2007, to my other half for her ironing business.

They're like any vehicle really, look after them, service them regularly and you'll be fine.

There are a few groups on Facebook which are well worth a look.

obanish 10 Apr 2021
In reply to purple sue:

I'm the opposite to Alex and downsized to a Vivaro from a Sprinter - I know which I prefer!

Having said that mine is the long wheel base, high roof version so not so much size difference. 

It's got a widthways folding bed under which there is storage for two bikes , folding canoe etc along with a 11kg refillable gas cylinder which feeds a fridge, propex heater and stove.

It's also got a Portapotti with SOG ventilation and a swivel front passenger seat .

For me it's the culmination of 7 self converted vans so I think I'm a bit biased 😅 

Jim Lancs 10 Apr 2021
In reply to purple sue:

I've had a Vivaro since 2002 and it hasn't missed a beat in 200000 miles. My favourite vehicle to drive long distance.

I did a very simple conversion which has proved to be really versatile and flexible. Our usage has evolved into something quite different to that we imagined when planning it all. 

OP purple sue 10 Apr 2021
In reply to all you helpful people:

Thanks for all the info so far.

I've already converted 2 vans, the second being a Peugeot Expert in which I managed to get a fridge installed in an unconventional place which worked quite well. I used every available bit of space in that, as I had to downsize in a hurry following engine failure on a Toyota Hiace.

This time I'm happy to give the work to a professional converter, but want to get it right. The Expert managed to stow a set of kites and a kitesurf board in addition to my climbing stuff, so I'm looking to have the same kit stowed in the Vivaro.

I'll check out the facebook groups too. Thanks for the suggestions.

OP purple sue 10 Apr 2021
In reply to Alex Riley:

Looks a beautiful job there

Kevster 11 Apr 2021
In reply to purple sue:

Hi Sue,

(think this maybe off topic for what youre asking)

I own a long wheel base 2014 Vivaro. As a works van, its laden with stuff all the time. The only issue I had was a new clutch at 35k, it has now done 125k. Still going well. The recommended service interval for many vans is quite large (25k for mine), I get mine looked at and have an oil change about every 12.5k as I am not convinced the long service intervals is good. Previously I had a peugeot expert and had turbo issues, which I think was down to oil issues. 2nd hand, this may be something to look at.

There are known issues with all vans/ vehicles. However I also know tradesmen who have 200kplus on their clocks without any significant issues. The recent decrease in engine sizes and doubling up on turbos must make longevity an issue?

All I know is:

Tradesmen dont use VW, they are a fashion van and have a price tag. 2nd hand they hold well as camper conversions are popular.

Mercedes vito are rare for trades (cost maybe) and I believe suffer rust. Like the sprinter does too.

Most trades use a vivaro or custom. for that size of van. 

Given trades tend to go for function, longevity and cost whilst battering and abusing their vehicles along the way. I'd go vivaro or custom. 

What they are like to convert? I dont know but surely they are much of a muchness? Size wise they are also similar. 

Happy camping sue!

Post edited at 08:19
In reply to purple sue:

We’ve got a 2007 swb which I thought we would have changed by now, but it’s been totally reliable. 100k miles on the clock, we’ve put 50k miles on it. Not a high roof so no probs so far getting into car parks with barriers. Drives brilliantly and we have happily lived in it for cragging  trips up to a month at a time.

it was ex police van so already had charging circuit, hookup and leisure battery and an Eberspacher heater. I put units all the way down the drivers side, plus a rock and roll pull out double bed. It has a multi burner built in stove and plumbed in sink.

the best decision was putting a top loading ‘proper’ compressor fridge in the units which runs off 12v. It operates as a fridge and freezer which is really good for long stays in the summer. It fits two of us plus a big dog.

it gets used on campsites in the U.K. plus Font and the Alps. The key for us was having an attachable tent for the side door, currently an air beam from Decathlon which attaches to the van at the side door. I think this is key to keeping the van small, and is great for storing bouldering pads out of the way.

Mrs Paul in Sheffield has had an eye on a VW California for a while, which may happen. We will certainly keep a camper for the U.K. However the last few Font trips have been to Airbnb rentals which have been great, and we are going to try getting to Font by train and arranging a hire car pickup at the station (pref electric). We’ll see how it goes.

Post edited at 09:03

Alex Riley 11 Apr 2021
In reply to Kevster:

I’ve converted a Ducato, vivaro and I’m half way through a sprinter.

The sprinter is by far the easiest, everything is designed logically and the internal bodywork is very straight. 

The ducato body inside was all over the place (pillars in odd places and sticking out different amounts), but reasonably solid build.

Vivaro was in between in terms of uniformity. Mostly well made and sturdy, however the roof is pretty weak compared to the other two.

All have had/will have roof vent, under mounted gas tank (gasit), solar and 12v fridge.

RobAJones 11 Apr 2021
In reply to purple sue:

We've had ours since 2015. It's a long story but we bought it basically from new with the intention of only keeping it for 6 months. Previously we had a Lwb high top vivaro for 10 years, which was ok but as a van the new one is a significant improvement, especially the engine (45 mph if driven carefully) 

I think conversion are quite personal depending on your intended use. Mine isn't as professional looking as the others on here. Looking at Alex's my bed is lot higher which means I can store more underneath, but initially I did get carried away and told to lower it by a few inches by Mrs J. At times I use it on my own so we have the option of a single bed, this means for day use we can get Mrs J's ebike inside (my bikes will fit across width wise). We have sliding door on both sides, not something I had considered previously but it means we now do a lot of cooking stood outside with the door open. I went for cheap strip lights and our fridge is portable, so not a permanent fixture. When using it in the winter I am pleased it is insulated. For summer use in Scotland midge nets that velcro round the windows are a must, I might use strip magnets now. Proper curtains round the side an front, but back windows is just silver insulation cut to size and magnets.  Another useful addition was a 6'x4' heavy duty tarp that with a couple of hooks and bungee fits over the back doors, usually for getting changed in grim weather after mbiking or kayaking. If you have a double passenger seat it is more problematical making that swivel on the newer model. 

I was expecting to have to get a bigger van, but on our longer trips to Europe we use a tent/living area from decathlon when on proper sites, as others have said a small van is great for short trips or good weather but they are no where near as good for sitting in for an extended period of time.

gravy 11 Apr 2021
In reply to purple sue:

These used to have a bad reputation for gearbox failures - not sure if this covers the later models but if you're doing an expensive conversion you probably want to check this out because they can be very expensive to fix.

OP purple sue 12 Apr 2021

Continued thanks for all the valuable wisdom.

Had already decided that VW are overpriced, though winning the best style marks.

I had a word with a mechanic who works on a lot of vans today & he said to steer clear of Ford Custom and the 2L Vivaro's as they are renowned for various expensive electronic/mechanical issues far too early into their lives. A medium wheelbase 1.6 Vivaro doesn't have the poor record that the 2L does, so I'm leaning towards that option at the mo. Thanks for the useful pics of various layouts.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...