UKC

Verdon - theft

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jus 23 May 2024

If going to the Verdon, be careful. Leave nothing of value in cars, even out of site. Sounds like people are breaking into cars electronically to steal stuff. I learnt the hard way today. Gutted. 

mrjonathanr 23 May 2024
In reply to Jus:

Sorry to hear. Practice was, way back when, leave cars empty and unlocked.

In reply to Jus:

Sorry to hear this. What do you mean electronically? 

Powley 24 May 2024
In reply to Simonfarfaraway:

Some modern cars can be opened remotely through security weaknesses if you have the right equipment and know how - rather than the classic smash the window method.

Or the car was just left unlocked...though most presumably autolock after a period of inactivity 

Post edited at 08:29
OP Jus 24 May 2024
In reply to Jus:

Car was locked. Wallet emptied. Same thing happened to a friends partner a few weeks ago here too. And someone else we know in Buoux. 

mrjonathanr 24 May 2024
In reply to Jus:

When these crags had their heyday - especially Buoux- thieves would come from Marseille to take valuables from cars.  At Buoux you could even see the cars being broken into from the crag, too far away to do anything. The solution was to leave the cars with nothing to steal and open, so no damage was caused by breaking in.

Babika 24 May 2024
In reply to mrjonathanr:

It didn't work for us! Left empty and unlocked with a sign "Cette voiture est vide" on the dash. They still smashed a screwdriver through the door lock!! :/

jon 24 May 2024
In reply to Babika:

> It didn't work for us! Left empty and unlocked with a sign "Cette voiture est vide" on the dash. They still smashed a screwdriver through the door lock!! :/

Maybe done out of spite ?! Back in the 80s a friend left his car in the parking for the climbing at Sainte Victoire. When he returned it had been broken into and everything stolen. He went back the next day to climb and left the car open and obviously empty as he had no belongings any more. On returning he found all four tyres slashed...

Iamgregp 24 May 2024
In reply to jon:

Maybe they stole the air out the tyres though?

In reply to Babika:

> It didn't work for us! Left empty and unlocked with a sign "Cette voiture est vide" on the dash. They still smashed a screwdriver through the door lock!! :/

You've done what you could but stupidity or petty malevolence can't be planned for!

Lankyman 25 May 2024
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> You've done what you could but stupidity or petty malevolence can't be planned for!

Years ago I got burgled and the scrote had a dump and wiped his @rse on one of my jumpers!

jon 25 May 2024
In reply to Jus:

Another heads up... not sure if it was electronically or just a brick through the window, but I just heard that a number of cars were done yesterday at  Buoux

David Coley 26 May 2024
In reply to Jus:

Sorry to hear that. Where were you parked

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...