UKC

via ferrata dolomites in October

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kaya 01 May 2019

Hi, Planning a trip out to the Dolomites in October with family we are competent trad climbers.

Is there any low level via ferrata that will be available at this time of year and can you recommend any where to hire the kit.

Any advice would be much appreciated?

In reply to Kaya:

Where in the Dolomites are you planning on being based?

Casa Alfredino 01 May 2019
In reply to Kaya:

Hi Kaya, is there a reason you say low level? I ask because if you are under the impression that weather will be poor by then, that is not actually so, especially the first half of the month. Generally for the last few years autumns have been very dry indeed, with little to no rain and quite stable weather. Or are you more concerned about the family aspect?

OP Kaya 08 May 2019
In reply to crag_hopper_Jay:

We are very flexible as on a 2 week road trip to venice from the UK

OP Kaya 08 May 2019
In reply to Casa Alfredino:

No reason for staying low, just anticipated bad weather high up. Would be ideally looking with some bridges and entertainment. My son will be 14 and is confident on british rock up to around HS. Not that it correlates but may help with some sugestions.

Gone 09 May 2019
In reply to Kaya:

The big sports shop in Corvara hires VF kit. There are also multiple hire places in Cortina.

For bridges and entertainment when the weather is bad high up, would recommend the short VF Ra bujela which is relatively new so hasn’t made it into everybody’s top ten lists. 

youtube.com/watch?v=o7R_5BPHZjA&

As you are climbers you should be fine on the Sci Club which is also low level. Both of these are near Cortina. 

In reply to Kaya:

In terms of walking in the Dolomites with relatively simple via ferrata, I would recommend taking a look at this http://www.infodolomiti.it/vacanza-attiva/alte-vie-delle-dolomiti/alta-via-... 

The whole walk is 180 KM across XIII stages, but the III and IV stage should have parts with simple via ferrata and you can park your car at Malga Zanes and then reach the Rifugio Genova in 2/2.30 hours walking.

Not too sure what the conditions would be like in October, but you could try ringing the Rifugi and I'm sure they will be able to give you a better idea.

In general, I highly recommend the whole  Puez Odle park, and the Val di Funes.

Toerag 10 May 2019
In reply to Kaya:

You'll almost certainly find all the lifts and huts shut which could cramp your style somewhat. However, the Arco area should be fine as none of the VF need lifts or have huts. They're very different in character to the true dolomites though.

So, true Dolomite VF doable without huts/lifts - Brigadata Tridentina, Michielli strobel, Ettore bovero, Finanzieri Colac maybe?

Some others could be done in a long hard day - SOSAT, Piz Da Lech etc.

Casa Alfredino 10 May 2019
In reply to Kaya:

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. There are tons of routes you can do. As Toerag, basically ALL cable cars will be closed by then but what you get in return is empty mountains. So for example, you could to Degli Alpini (1 hour walk in), Averau from Rifugio Cinque Torri, VF Possnecker, VF delle trincee (1.5 hour walk in), the Eterna on Marmolada is you can walk down the glacier, there are lots of routes!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...