UKC

Via Ferrata in Slovenia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rhi Rhi 02 Mar 2020

Hi

Has anyone done the via ferrata in Slovenia? Any good? Any recommendations? Places to stay? Potentially looking for a week hol in summertime

Thanks

John Kelly 02 Mar 2020
In reply to Rhi Rhi:

These are great mountain days out

Fensterweg (VF3A)

Climb Triglav via

Tomasinki Prag Route (aka Cez Prag) (VF3A)

Take ice gear for small steepish glacier

Hanzasteig (VF4C)

mysterion 02 Mar 2020
In reply to Rhi Rhi:

Did the obvious ones up and down Triglav from the Vrata valley and intend to return and do a multi day traverse Prisank>Triglav>south later this year.

My first VFs so I don't know, but apparently they are fairly medium difficulty/seriousness.

Lots of huts to move between, English language maps and guidebooks available by Sidartha, very distinctive limestone karst landscape, can get by on English, 'prosim' please and 'hvala' thank you.

Started from Mojstrana, stayed in Hostel Lukna, stocked up at Mercator supermarket in village then headed up the Vrata valley, stayed at Aljazhev then Kredarica huts, can be busy especially weekends.

I think you must do Triglav if you go to Slovenia. Bus from airport to Kranj then bus to Kranjska Gora takes you there.

J is pronounced like Ye

C is pronounced like Zz in pizza

Triglav is pronounced TREE GLAv

Post edited at 00:20
 Toerag 03 Mar 2020
In reply to Rhi Rhi:

Stay at River Cottage if they're still open. I've done a handful - very 'old skool' in nature, often more serious than Dollies ones - plenty of sections where you'd have a wire in the Dollies which were unprotected.  Be prepared for lots of ascent due to the lack of lift infrastructure. Apart from that, cheap as chips. I'd go back.

DaveHK 03 Mar 2020
In reply to Rhi Rhi:

There's a good but quite busy campsite at Lake Bohinj and a really nice campsite at Trenta which you can access Triglav from.

Babika 03 Mar 2020
In reply to Rhi Rhi:

Did Triglav via Prag route last September and it was marvellous. Great exposure and superb views. But very easy VF - sometimes we didnt bother clipping in

VF in the Ecrins much harder and steeper. 

I wouldn't describe Slovenia as "cheap as chips" though. We thought it was pretty expensive last September - on a par with Italian lake resorts 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...