/ Wadi Rum Beta

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Ramon Marin 22:42 Sun

Most info in the forums is a bit old now, I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on to where to stay and what to do for food. Do most people pack their camping gear to stay there (in addition to bivvy in the desert?)

And to bivvy in the desert, what do people do for food? Cook with foraged wood or packing gas/stove?

And lastly, will mid-February be too cold to climb in the shade? Or is mid march better. 

Thanks! 

Robert Durran 22:53 Sun
In reply to Ramon Marin:

> Most info in the forums is a bit old now, I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on to where to stay and what to do for food. Do most people pack their camping gear to stay there (in addition to bivvy in the desert?)

Accomodation in houses in the village is possible, but I've always camped at the Rest House. Others might be able to give contacts, or else just ask around (or, more probably, get asked!). Meals available at the Rest House. Several small shops sell all necessary provisions, including fresh veg. to cook yourself.

> And to bivvy in the desert, what do people do for food? Cook with foraged wood or packing gas/stove?

Take a petrol cooker and ask around (or your driver) for petrol. You shouldn't really use foraged wood, (though the locals will).  If you do make a fire, keep it very small

> And lastly, will mid-February be too cold to climb in the shade? Or is mid march better. 

Not been in February, but generally climbing in the sun is best in Dec/Jan and definitely best in the shade by the end of March, so maybe something in between! You'll find plenty of options at any time.

Ramon Marin 10:26 Mon
In reply to Robert Durran:

Thanks Robert!

Inhambane 11:57 Mon
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Hi , I live in Jordan and I've camped and climbed all year round in wadi rum, it's never too hot or cold as long as your strategic with sun/shade.  However it may rain and then you wouldn't want to be in a narrow gorge. 

You can't rely on foraged wood as there is hardly any around.  Camping gas you can get in the big supermarkets in Amman. 

Bivvy in the desert is great and whoever drives you in can lend you a mattress. No tents needed. 

PM me if you want any contacts or more info.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.