UKC

Where for multi day ski tour for beginners?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BattyMilk 09 Feb 2020

Since reading "the worst journey in the world" a while ago I've had a back of my mind goal to do a solo ski to the south pole.... To get the wheels turning in the right direction of this long term goal, me and a friend have decided that we want to do a long weekend/short week multi day (3/4 night) Nordic ski tour somewhere next winter to start dabbling and pick up the required skills. From googling, there are numerous companies offering polar training courses and guided tours but for large sums of money. As such we're looking to wing it.

We're looking for somewhere somewhat remote but also with the ability to rent skis (and sledges if warranted for the trip) and not be too far from civilisation that we can't retreat within a days ski if it all goes to shit.

We're both experienced in climbing/mountaineering/winter camping in the snow in Scotland, Wales, NZ and in the Alps (summer but up in the snow) and have most gear (we think) we'd need other than the skis (and pulk if needed). We've zero Nordic skiing experience, about a day downhill skiing between us (but 50yrs snowboarding between us).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers

Doug 09 Feb 2020
In reply to BattyMilk:

Where do you live ? In your place I'd consider Norway (eg Finse), the Jura or the lower parts of the Alps (Queyras, Vercors....), & don't forget Scotland if you live there.

OP BattyMilk 09 Feb 2020
In reply to Doug:

I'm in South East London so probably as easy to get to Norway or the Alps as it would be for Scotland. Cheers

Doug 09 Feb 2020
In reply to BattyMilk:

Meant to add, forget camping for a first trip & use huts, bunkhouse or cheaper hotels instead. Much easier to learn to ski if you have no or a very light sack. Hut to hut skiing in Norway would probably suit you but Norway's an expensive country to visit. If interested look at the DNT website (DNT are the Norwegian national walking/skiing association)

TobyA 09 Feb 2020
In reply to BattyMilk:

There are many hundreds of kms km marked ski trails and huts to stay in, in northern Finland. If you've never XC skied before you want somewhere reasonably flat to start off; trying to control skinny skis in xc boots with a pack on going downhill is not easy.

OP BattyMilk 09 Feb 2020
In reply to Doug:

DNT website is great. Had no idea there was such a good network of huts!

wbo2 09 Feb 2020
In reply to BattyMilk:I'd recommend a bunch of practice and then Hardanger .  Fly to Bergen

OwenM 10 Feb 2020
In reply to BattyMilk:

If it's a long term goal then I'd say learn to walk before you can run. I'd start somewhere like Lillahammer, there's about a hundred km of cut track around the town. Learn the basics in the tracks, no big packs just doing days out. There used to be a British company that did package deal there, don't know if they're still going. Then second week go to Finse, stay at the hut to start with. Just do day trip, get used to heavier skis and no track. You could do a short hut to hut at the end of the week. 

Next go north and try a longer hut to hut tour in Lapland, Norway, Sweden or Finland it really doesn't matter. After that try it camping with pulks. That should keep the learning curve manageable while you work on your sponcership, fitness etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...