UKC

Where is still nice in france at the end of october? How far south...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ewanjp 28 Sep 2021

Normally, we take the camper van each autumn half term and smash it down to Provence, and go climbing / walking / cycling for the week. This year we've got a baby in tow (10 months) so no camper and using an air bnb. The current plan is to do a stop in Dijon on the way out and back for a day and then drive down to near Avigon. 

Any suggestions to avoid needing to drive down that far? We don't mind a bit of cold (as we won't be climbing) but keen to avoid constant rain? We go to the Jura in summer, but never been there in late autumn, so wondering if that is an option? Is it very cold and wet?

Main activities will be day trips to things, and walks (not massive mountain climby ones as I'll have the little one in my backpack carrier). Maybe a little cycling if I sneak my bike on top of the car!

Doug 28 Sep 2021
In reply to ewanjp:

How far ahead do you have to decide? you might well get good weather around Dijon, or even further north (eg Fontainebleau) although it could just as easily be horrible.

OP ewanjp 28 Sep 2021
In reply to Doug:

Trying to book in the next few days, so can't just look at a forecast (the downside of air bnb vs camper van).

We've never had (persistently) bad weather in the south in five years of going.

Lankyman 28 Sep 2021
In reply to ewanjp:

I should give you a dislike but it would be churlish. It's black outside, heaving down and I've just put the heating on for the first time since whenever. Might get a week in Scotland next month. Enjoy your time in France!

ian caton 29 Sep 2021
In reply to ewanjp:

Burgundy. Saussois area. 

Skiddly1987 29 Sep 2021
In reply to ewanjp:

Nice is still Nice…

HakanT 29 Sep 2021
In reply to ewanjp:

I’m hoping Fontainebleau will be nice as that’s where I’ll be.

yorkshireman 29 Sep 2021
In reply to ewanjp:

I'm near Grenoble - t-shirt weather at the moment even 1000m up here in the Vercors. Exactly one year ago we had a snow so you never know. I would try to be flexible if you can.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFoWLSkKvpR/

Doug 29 Sep 2021
In reply to yorkshireman:

I'm a little north of Gap at 1250m, just back from a short walk - still tee shirt weather despite a strong breeze. Often stays like this for all of October but not gaurenteed.

yorkshireman 29 Sep 2021
In reply to Doug:

> I'm a little north of Gap at 1250m, just back from a short walk - still tee shirt weather despite a strong breeze.

Gap used to be my nearest town of any decent size and I always thought it had a great climate. 

> Often stays like this for all of October but not gaurenteed.

True - I'll be switching the winter tyres over in a couple of weeks though. Early bird sale for our XC ski season pass starts on Friday too so thoughts are definitely with winter now

Doug 29 Sep 2021

Is your Département one of those where snow tyres or chains are compulsory from the 1st November ? Probably heading to Paris next week to see family but must get the tyres changed once back

freeflyer 29 Sep 2021
In reply to ewanjp:

Tricky as you need to book ahead, but personally I'd head for the Draguignan area for the following reasons.

- As warm as you're likely to get.
- Protection from the mistral.
- Loads to see and do, including inside if bad weather (perfume factories etc).
- If you get good weather you can have a day at the seaside.
- I believe there's climbing available in the area, but others will be much better qualified to advise.

If you time it right, you could do the driving in one day - I have many times, but not with a baby admittedly

Have a great holiday!

yorkshireman 29 Sep 2021
In reply to Doug:

> Is your Département one of those where snow tyres or chains are compulsory from the 1st November ? Probably heading to Paris next week to see family but must get the tyres changed once back

I hadn't heard about that so just Googled. Assume you mean this?

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/actualites/A14389 

It seems to suggest that just having snowchains with you is enough (at all times, as opposed to just going up certain roads) if you don't have winter tyres.

I'm in Isère so yes, definitely covered - but it sounds like around half the départements in France are covered.

I change the tyres anyway as 10 winters here have shown me plenty of examples of people trying their luck without them - even with a 4x4 its not worth skimping. Having a steep, north facing driveway doesn't help either.

Doug 29 Sep 2021

Think just a pair of chains in the boot is enough to be legal, although that's more than many winter visitors from eg Marseille, seem to have. My wife thinks I exagerate a bit by having chains, shovel, blanket & some spare food in the boot all winter but then she's never had to spend a night by the roadside in a Scottish winter.

Timy2 29 Sep 2021
In reply to ewanjp:

Corsica

mark catcher 29 Sep 2021
In reply to ewanjp: Orpierre would probably be my choice as it’s generally settled in Autumn, or if it’s warm cycling you want head for Buis or Malaucene. Seek out Enty, he’s on here and has great accommodation.

John2 29 Sep 2021
In reply to Doug:

I do carry chains, but does anyone know whether all-weather tyres are OK in the new regime?

overdrawnboy 30 Sep 2021
In reply to Skiddly1987:

I damaged my knees in Nice while visiting my niece, up to then it was nice.

OP ewanjp 30 Sep 2021
In reply to ewanjp:

Thanks all. In the end I was convinced by the wife that a warm looking farmconversion in the Jura was where we were going... No beach swimming for me! Fingers crossed it doesn't snow!

Doug 30 Sep 2021
In reply to ewanjp:

I went to Jura for the first few days of November many years ago (1st November is a public holiday in France), first day was wet, then it snowed, maybe half a metre...

Hope you have better luck with the weather

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...