UKC

Where to go??? stanage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 luke glaister 08 Mar 2014
We are just leaving Hereford for stanage and it's are first visit. I'd like to know the best area to head for. We are confident at vs and push hvs/e1 when the climbing head comes with us. Any suggestions as where to go would be great. Cheers.
Luke.
 deepsoup 08 Mar 2014
In reply to luke glaister:
You really can't go far wrong. The weather forecast for tomorrow looks stunning so it'll likely be pretty crowded. Better not to have a tick-list possibly, rather just wander along and jump on whatever is free and takes your fancy. For a first visit I'd suggest starting at either the Popular end or the Plantation, and wander leftwards from there.
OP luke glaister 08 Mar 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

Nice one. U have made the journey more exciting with the positive reply. Cant wait now. Cheers mate.
Luke.
 Jon Stewart 08 Mar 2014

If you don't mind crowds, and want 3* classics all next to each other, then the Popular End is where you want to go, but it will be busy. If you want to be away from the crowds (a bit), head for the Plantation - you can head leftwards into the lesser-known bit of the crag if routes are mobbed. If you do go to the Plantation, then make sure to take in Count's Crack, the best VS crack on the edge: a proper meaty VS that's often overlooked.
 mark20 08 Mar 2014

Good call, Jon. You could have a great day around that way and not see anyone else all day. Count's Crack, Central Buttress, Countess Buttress, Titanic, Anniversary Arete then over to the Unconquerables when everyone else has gone to the pub.

Or just potter along the Popular End jumping on any starred VS-HVS that isn't occupied - can't go wrong.
 Jon Stewart 08 Mar 2014
In reply to mark20:

I don't know Countess Buttress, will look it up.

Central Buttress is another overlooked gem, an excellent varied route. Titanic Direct (HVS) is the 3* classic for me, rather than sneaking-off-round-the-corner VS.
 Jon Stewart 09 Mar 2014

Where did you go? What did you do?

It was wonderful around the Plantation today.
OP luke glaister 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Hi Jon. We had a great day out. We camped out and was up and at it for 5.30. Cup of tea and bacon roll, then on are first route for 6.30. Starting at the real 20 ft crack and doing the 3 routes to the left of it. Then we walked in and picked off routes as suggested. The best routes we did were central trinity, Christmas crack, Hargreaves original, and inverted v.16 routes in the day and was walking like John wain going back to the car... so much to go at there I don't know why I was worried. Will definitely be back soon. We only got to inverted v as someone had fell and the paramedics were onsight so we stopped there. Hope the person involved is ok.
Luke
 Jon Stewart 10 Mar 2014

Sounds like a great day. Real 20ft Crack is ace!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...