UKC

Where to live abroad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 27 Nov 2018

Thinking my of visiting some destinations and staying in each for a year to 18 months duration and looking for ideas. I only really speak english, so will limit things. I'm looking for areas which offer easy access to single and multi pitch quality rock up to vs or f5c standard, mountaineering routes, hillwalking ( non glaciated routes...don't like early starts), downhill skiing and trail running. Any thoughts?

Trangia 27 Nov 2018
In reply to Removed UserGRUMPY MONKEY:

Western Cape ticks most of your boxes apart from skiing.

stevieb 27 Nov 2018

New Zealand would seem like a good fit.

But, if you're looking to be there for 18 months (how easy is it to stay for 18 months?), you should have time to learn a language. Maybe your money would go further in Peru/Bolivia/Ecuador

Removed User 27 Nov 2018
In reply to Trangia:

Currently on holiday in western cape. But not keen on hot climates.....too hot for me here

Removed User 27 Nov 2018
In reply to stevieb:

I've heard the rock climbing isn't great in nz.

Billhook 27 Nov 2018

Scotland, although you may find the language in Glasgow it little hard.

tjekel 27 Nov 2018

Any touristy alpine valley would do. As does Slovenija. Remember, people tend to speak some English as soon as they can sell their stuff to you.

Japan, if you can get an English teaching job. Plenty of climbing and Japan alps are perfect for non-glaciated walking. Lots of climbing,, best powder skiing in the world too. Spent 21/2 years there and had no issues with my p-poor Japanese (I tried! honest).

Removed User 28 Nov 2018

Yes Scotland would be the ideal destination, but I've lived there for the past 47 years and being a Glaswegian i already speak the language ????

Post edited at 19:00
Removed User 28 Nov 2018

What would the weather be like in Japan in the summer months? I don't do well in hot climates. I would be going out myself so would want to go somewhere where I can join local clubs without a language barrier. I don't need to factor in employment.

Go to Bend in Oregon.  Silly name, lovely place.  You'd have to deal with US immigration but otherwise, terrific spot.

T.

Removed User 28 Nov 2018
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

How's the weather in the summer?

A Google will give you a more informative answer than I could, having visited in early autumn.  Have a look at Smith Rock and Crater lake whilst you're searching.

T.

George Ormerod 28 Nov 2018

Canadian Rockies fits your bill, not the best rock, but lots of routes, non-glaciated scrambling peaks, skiing from late October to mid-May, striking distance of excellent Granite in the Bugs, Skaha, Squamish.  As a UK citizen you can stay here for 6 months no bother.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...