UKC

Why do you love the Costa Blanca?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climbercool 20 Feb 2020

I'm planning a 90 day trip next autumn  with my family to Spain, I think I've decided Costa Blanca is the area I want to stay.  I visited briefly before around 8 years ago but I'm looking for some more inspiration to help finalise my choice.  It seems there is a huge number of Brits who time and again return to the costa blanca.  I guess it's the worlds most popular foreign climbing destination for British Climbers? So why do you love it so much there? Or if anyone hates the place I'm also interested to hear why?

For me at the moment its the mix of beaches and climbing in close proximity and the very affordable accommodation (even when compared to the rest of Spain).  

In reply to climbercool:

Have been loads, it's incredible, have never been to the beach though.

Mike-W-99 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

No, we tend to frequent the German brewpub in calpe when not climbing. Too cold for the beach!

In reply to climbercool:

Accessibility, consistent weather (usually), range of climbing (single pitch, ridges, trad, multipitch), cheap

Mark Eddy 20 Feb 2020
In reply to climbercool:

Been a very regular in CB for 9 years now, spending big chunks of winter here. There is a lot of diversity. Fantastic climbing, loads of ridge scrambles, via ferrata, canyons, loads of mountains and good way-marking on many, good running, the road cycling is outstanding (many big teams come here to train).

Good climate, good & cheap food, plentiful accommodation, easy access. And yes the beaches are lovely and absolutely loads of them.

I’ve probably missed out loads more top stuff here. Ace place, visit.

Mark

Bulls Crack 20 Feb 2020
In reply to climbercool:

Not sure I do - maybe I just don't  like concrete enough 

Robert Durran 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Not sure I do - maybe I just don't  like concrete enough 

Or polish.

Iamgregp 20 Feb 2020
In reply to climbercool:

I went for the first time in December. I was a little sceptical about what I’d make of it to be honest.  However the weather was a sunny 20 degrees pretty much all week, the accommodation was cheap, the food and drink options were open, good and not expensive and the climbing was simply fantastic and really varied. 

There’s other destinations that I prefer more but are further or have less facilities in the off season or where the climbing is less varied but CB hits the a sweet spot for cost, convenience, quality and facilities.

I’ll certainly be back. It’s spot on.

whenry 20 Feb 2020
In reply to climbercool:

I'm not a great fan - but possibly I've been spoiled by Kalymnos. The good things are that it's cheap and quick to get to for a short break, and I've enjoyed climbing at Forada and Gandia, but really haven't been impressed by some of the climbing, especially at Sierra de Toix, didn't like the plumes of smog coming from Benidorm, didn't really rate the food, and found the crags to be quite dispersed.

Some of that is, I accept, probably down to our crag and route choices, and where we've stayed, but compared to other destinations it was just a bit "meh".

As for the beaches, long strips of sand really don't do it for me - I prefer small, interesting coves.

I've been a couple of times - the allure of an easy, cheap, holiday - but I'm in no rush to go back, and wasn't especially keen the second time.

nikoid 21 Feb 2020
In reply to climbercool:

San Miguel at just over one Euro per litre.

And no tolls on the motorways now.

Post edited at 10:57
 Bulls Crack 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

Didn't really find that an issue tbh - there's plenty of climbing variety and it is all fairly convenient -  however, as a place it does little for me. The whole coastal strip, Calpe included, I find a bit depressing really - its either housing estates and roads, derelict housing estates or building sites interspersed with scrappy  countryside and the occasional impressive peak. Much prefer Catalunya 

In reply to Robert Durran:

No polish or concrete in the mountains, this is what makes it for me, i was amazed at how rough the limestone was after experiencing the coastal crags.

GrahamD 21 Feb 2020
In reply to climbercool:

Sheer quantity of climbing with massive variety. 

Robert Durran 21 Feb 2020

> No polish or concrete in the mountains, this is what makes it for me, i was amazed at how rough the limestone was after experiencing the coastal crags.

Oh well, it must be a matter of exploring beyond the Rockfax - I found some of the crags pretty much beyond worthwhile use my last two visits.

And, as others have said, the coastal strip is pretty unappealing compared with other places. I think of the Costa Blanca as a sort of convenient euro-clipping venue of last resort.

Anyway, Greece is the new Spain!

Iamgregp 21 Feb 2020
In reply to whenry:

Oh aye, Kalymnos is by far my favorite place, just a long journey to get to and lots of businesses are closed out of season....

GDes 21 Feb 2020
In reply to climbercool:

As others have said, not a fan. Lots of driving required, quite a lot of it is pretty built up and not that scenic, and aside from sector wild side, I thought the climbing was pretty average. 

If I was going on a 90 day trip with family, I'd go south of France anybday. Loads of good family friendly crags, beautiful place to be 

Mark Eddy 21 Feb 2020
In reply to climbercool:

Just back from a day in the mountains of Costa Blanca. The Race Roig / Aixorta area, so just a short way inland from Altea and Calpe. Quiet roads to get there, fantastic mountain scenery with beautiful ridge lines all around. For much of the day we enjoyed the sound of bees and birds and nothing more. The people I was with commented on how much of a wilderness it felt like they were in. No houses in sight, no people, but many massive cliffs. Look away from the honey pots and coastal strip folks, it's good here

Mike Stretford 21 Feb 2020
In reply to climbercool:

It's just a convenient place to escape the British winter. If that's why you are planning a trip then the Blanca makes sense.... southern France and Catalunya have less reliable weather.

OP climbercool 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Mike Stretford:

Catalunya is also considerably more expensive and is no where near as good in the low grades, if you want to find good 6as and below you really have to be selective about where you visit in Catalunya.  much of France is close to double the price of Costa Blanca

Post edited at 16:55
In reply to Mark Eddy:

Exactly it is so wild inland, incredible flora, prickly limestone, vistas for miles.

I was pretty much a blinkered snob  with pre concieved ideas when people suggested climbing in the Costa Blanca, my first visit to the coast pretty much re enforced the worst stereotypes for this region, after going inland, i'm now totally hooked and love the place.  

Dave Ferguson 21 Feb 2020
In reply to climbercool:

simple - Benidorm - its just fabulous, chuck in some fairly good climbing and you're onto a winner.

Robert Durran 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Dave Ferguson:

> simple - Benidorm - its just fabulous, chuck in some fairly good climbing and you're onto a winner.

On one trip I made the mistake (not my idea) of going into Benidorm for the evening. It is a monstrous shithole.

Kevster 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Dave Ferguson:

Lmao, benedorm just leaves me cold, but I guess that's what makes life interesting. 

Baz P 22 Feb 2020
In reply to climbercool:

Over the forty years of visiting the Costa Blanca my climbing has got less and now includes ridges, canyons, ferrata and mountain biking. Still finding new places to visit. I’ve not found anywhere else with so much variety within easy reach and with reliable good weather in winter. Also, I don’t go on the beach or drink alcohol. Greece, Croatia and Italy can’t compete with this. I wouldn’t think of going to Kalymnos not to climb. A scooter ride around the island and a boat trip was all it had to offer. 
The south of France comes fairly close but stuff is well scattered and not easy to get the right weather. Also expensive. 
I now pay £350 a week all inclusive in a four star hotel on the Costa Blanca, including flights. What’s not to like?

Deadeye 22 Feb 2020

> No polish

Racist

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...