UKC

Wild camping near the Kingshouse in Glencoe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ozandrew 03 Aug 2020

Anybody camped here recently?  Wondering what the conditions are like these days.

PPP 03 Aug 2020
In reply to ozandrew:

Some interesting excerpt from https://www.kingshousehotel.co.uk/wild-camping/:

> Officially, no – we don’t have a campsite! But there’s nothing to say you can’t set up camp nearby (in the ‘wild’) and make use of The Way Inn. After all, where else will you find a proper pub with proper grub slap-bang in the middle of nowhere?

It's actually nice to see that the Kingshouse renovation didn't put a stop to this. It felt like there has always been some tents nearby, but haven't seen any during construction. 

Graeme G 03 Aug 2020
In reply to ozandrew:

If they’re anything like the one, and only, time I did it 20 odd years ago, they’ll be appalling. Listening to the noises emanating from the queued out toilets put an end to any notion of it being ‘wild’ camping. 🤢

Jon Read 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

Wild? Sounds like you were livid...

PPP 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

I might be a softie, but I actually wouldn’t mind a toilet. Never had a such luxury while “wild camping”, but a bothy with a toilet is quite welcome when it’s howling outside.

That, and I don’t think roadside camping will ever be wild anyway! 

Lankyman 04 Aug 2020
In reply to PPP:

> That, and I don’t think roadside camping will ever be wild anyway! 

Back in my Munro-bagging days we 'wild camped' by the Kingshouse on occasion. Most mornings we would be entertained by the (often) foreign West Highland Wayfarers being mercilessly assaulted by the resident midges. None of them ever seemed to realise how awful they could be.

elliptic 04 Aug 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

There also used to be three sections of concrete culvert pipe dumped on the moor by the access road which were handy for post pub bivvies after stumbling out in the wee small hours. It helped to know which was which; the short one kept either your head or your feet dry, but not both...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...