UKC

Will the Yorkshire Dales be a bit windy Tomorrow and 10th May and Wed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Godwin 09 May 2022

I was thinking of having couple of days sport and trad limestone, but MWIS is predicting strong south-westerly winds, and many/most of the Limestone crags seem to have a southish westerlyish orientation.
Am I correct in my thinking it maybe unpleasantly windy?

Will Hunt 09 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Do you have any particular grade range? Some of the crags that would work best have a tougher entry level.

OP Godwin 09 May 2022
In reply to Will Hunt:

Yes, Attermire 6a/ 6a+, or VS/HVS, and maybe start working a 6b/6b+, so I suspect the crags you are thinking of maybe a bit tough.

Will Hunt 09 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

At those grades I think your best bet would be Gigg North or South. There might be showers but it's roadside and the cafes of Settle are close at hand. The base is well sheltered by trees and it doesn't look all that windy. You could also have a look at Dib Scar which might be sheltered, or a wind tunnel! Trow Gill would usually be a good option, but there's still some doubt over the state of some of the routes there after the winter storms.

OP Godwin 09 May 2022
In reply to Will Hunt:

Thank you Will. Oddly, I walked through Conistone Dib last week, and we thought of going there at the weekend, I am obviously being drawn towards it.

Dave Ferguson 09 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

routes on the right side of Moughton Nab face east and so can be sheltered in strong south westerlies. Enough there for a days sport.

OP Godwin 11 May 2022
In reply to Dave Ferguson:

Top Tips there thank you.
Went to Gigg North yesterday which was good, and well bolted which surprised me after reading the comments on here.
Moughton today, great suggestion, felt a bit harder for the grade than Gigg, but a good day.

Thanks all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...