UKC

Working/Living in Abu Dhabi

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jackob 25 Jan 2021

Hi, I am vaguely considering applying for a job based out of Abu Dhabi.

Has anybody spent any time as an expat climber in abu dhabi and if so did you enjoy it/would you do it again?

Is there any kind of 'scene' out there?

The money is certainly tempting however im not sure how it would fit in with my lifestyle and i'm not sure quite how much is regarded as a 'good' salary in the UAE.

Thanks in advance

tjekel 25 Jan 2021
In reply to Jackob:

Sorry no experience of Abu Dhab, but Oman. And we loved that place in terms of climbing, people, landscape, snorkeling and camping. Possible for a long weekend. 

TheGeneralist 25 Jan 2021
In reply to tjekel:

> Possible for a long weekend. 

Do you mean from AD or from the UK. My best ever long weekend climbing was in Oman, from Manchester, via Abu Dhabi...

Overnight flight, then huge drive.

Deep water soloing in Muscat day 1

More DWS on day two then drive to Wonderwall, beer, barbecue, then a few more routes by headtorch.

Day three... My first 7a on sight at Wonderwall.  Then drove to Hatta.

Day 4 was great at Hatta. Stressful drive back to Abu Dhabi, shower, tea, overnight flight back to Manchester in time to wake up kids for school then off to work.

4 amazing days climbering, including DWS, in December, for only two days annual leave.

Happy days.

So. To answer OP. yes some great climbing.

Post edited at 21:07
 tehmarks 25 Jan 2021
In reply to Jackob:

I've spent a lot of time in the Emirates for work, though I've never climbed there. I did drive up to Ras Al Khaimah one day when I was particularly bored, and there are pointy rocky bits, but the rock all seemed terrifyingly friable. I suspect you might struggle to get a barge pole in your luggage.

However, Oman is jut over the border, easily driveable from Abu Dhabi, and though I've also never climbed there it seems to be highly praised by those who do visit.

I suspect Mr. Durran might be your man here, and hopefully he will be along shortly

steve taylor 26 Jan 2021
In reply to Jackob:

Abu Dhabi is a pretty expensive place to live - it's at least a tenner for a pint in most hotel bars so don't expect to save very much.  On the plus side, cars are cheap, and so is fuel and there's no income tax currently.

Work-wise - check the T+Cs about the role, working hours/days, accommodation allowance, travel allowance, flight allowance and holiday allowance. These need to be listed clearly in your contract. Your prospective employer may say not to worry about such things, but make sure it's all written down. For example, the accommodation allowance might not be enough to rent somewhere acceptable, so do your homework. Ask for as much salary as you dare - if your experience in the role is significant, highlight that as much as possible. 

It gets stupidly hot/humid in the summer. You adapt over a couple of years, but your first summer may feel unbearable. 50 degrees is normal, with no chance of outdoor climbing from May to September, except for the couple of hours, in the shade, immediately after dawn.

However, I reckon it's the most pleasant of the emirates - much less built up than Dubai. My trips there have all been for golf, flying in from Saudi for long weekends, so I can't comment on the climbing locally. As others have said, Oman is very, very good for climbing and a generally nice place. 

Note the current covid situation. Flying out of the Middle East was very restricted for most of last year so there's a risk of getting stranded. I couldn't leave Saudi for 7 months.

1234None 26 Jan 2021
In reply to Jackob:

I haven't lived in Abu Dhabi but I have lived in Oman (in Sur).  Loads of great climbing and some of the best is possible in a weekend trip from AD.

Iamgregp 26 Jan 2021
In reply to Jackob:

You probably already know this but just in case you don't....   Depending on certain conditions you may be liable to pay tax on your earnings out there when you return to the uk. 

Speak to a tax/financial advisor to find out what this looks like and how much you'll pay,  I know some young lads who went to Qatar for a few years to "earn big money tax free" for a few years who got a nasty surprise on their return to the uk!

steve taylor 26 Jan 2021
In reply to Iamgregp:

Good point. You need to check that you're out of the UK long enough to qualify under the Statutory Residence Test. The main takeaway is that you have to spend a full tax year out of the UK (you can return on holiday for periods though).

https://www.pwc.com/gx/en/services/people-organisation/publications/assets/...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...