UKC

/ Yorkshire crag access- current fire risk?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
no_more_scotch_eggs - on 06 Jul 2018

A week or two back it was posted that the Barden Fell access was suspended due to high fire risk- i can’t imagine the risk has fallen since, is the restriction still in place?

and what about other moorland crags- eg Great Wolfrey? 

toad - on 06 Jul 2018
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Yes. I was at Bolton Abbey on Monday and all of the Devonshire owned moorland is closed

...although I'm sure they will still be , ahem, blazing away come the 12th.

In reply to toad:

thanks- i thought that would be likely

anyone got info on  other areas- Great Wolfrey, the  Widdop area crags?

Simon Caldwell - on 06 Jul 2018

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/fire-severity-index

When the risk is at level 5 (Exceptional), open access can be suspended. Currently there doesn't seem to be anywhere that's in this category.

http://www.openaccess.naturalengland.org.uk will I think usually show any such closures. But not for area which had access agreements in place prior to CRoW (which includes Barden Moor).

Arms Cliff - on 06 Jul 2018

This issue has arisen before, but in the shooting period; it's only Bolton Abbey who are nice enough to have the dates available on their website. All the other moorland areas, it's a case of turning up and seeing what's written by the access gate. I've not heard any notices about closures around the Pateley/Lofthouse areas, and I know people have been bouldering on the same access area as Great Wolfrey this week. 

In reply to Arms Cliff:

thanks, and to Simon

plan A is still to have an early start and go through to the Ogwen valley- but have to see how i feel about that come 6am on sunday morning! so a plan B with a shorter drive would be nice to have. Looks like some high moorland grit could be that plan...

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.