UKC

Yorkshire crag access- current fire risk?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

A week or two back it was posted that the Barden Fell access was suspended due to high fire risk- i can’t imagine the risk has fallen since, is the restriction still in place?

and what about other moorland crags- eg Great Wolfrey? 

toad 06 Jul 2018
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Yes. I was at Bolton Abbey on Monday and all of the Devonshire owned moorland is closed

...although I'm sure they will still be , ahem, blazing away come the 12th.

In reply to toad:

thanks- i thought that would be likely

anyone got info on  other areas- Great Wolfrey, the  Widdop area crags?

Simon Caldwell 06 Jul 2018

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/fire-severity-index

When the risk is at level 5 (Exceptional), open access can be suspended. Currently there doesn't seem to be anywhere that's in this category.

http://www.openaccess.naturalengland.org.uk will I think usually show any such closures. But not for area which had access agreements in place prior to CRoW (which includes Barden Moor).

Arms Cliff 06 Jul 2018

This issue has arisen before, but in the shooting period; it's only Bolton Abbey who are nice enough to have the dates available on their website. All the other moorland areas, it's a case of turning up and seeing what's written by the access gate. I've not heard any notices about closures around the Pateley/Lofthouse areas, and I know people have been bouldering on the same access area as Great Wolfrey this week. 

In reply to Arms Cliff:

thanks, and to Simon

plan A is still to have an early start and go through to the Ogwen valley- but have to see how i feel about that come 6am on sunday morning! so a plan B with a shorter drive would be nice to have. Looks like some high moorland grit could be that plan...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...