UKC

3/4 Day walk starting Chamonix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doghouse 16 Jun 2019

Hi

I may have a few days spare in Chamonix during the summer and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a 3 or 4 day hut to hut walk. I'm happy to use uplift and probably 8 - 10 hours walking a day but as I'll be solo avoiding any wet glaciers.  Spectacular views a given!

Many thanks.

Rob Exile Ward 16 Jun 2019
In reply to Doghouse:

First few days of TMB, from Les Houches to Courmayeur then bus back through the tunnel?

OP Doghouse 16 Jun 2019
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Thanks Rob, but I've walked the TMB so would want to avoid repeating any sections of that. Good suggestion though!

goatee 16 Jun 2019
In reply to Doghouse:

If you are up for a bit of travel then I would really recommend a tour of the Dents du Midi. Easily accessed by train from Cham. Another possible is a trip around Le Tour Saliere. Up by Lac d'Emmoson---around to Salanfe and back under Mont Ruan and possibly over Mont Buet. Lots and lots on offer around there. 

Stephen

coldfell 16 Jun 2019
In reply to Doghouse:

The GR5 from Geneva to Chamonix is spectacular and I guess onwards to Briancon will be even better. Well signposted and with huts/lodges.

OP Doghouse 16 Jun 2019
In reply to Doghouse:

Thanks all, some great food for thought there.

Pete Houghton 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Doghouse:

Up to Brevent, down from the Col du Brevent towards the Refuge du Mode d'Anterne, up towards Le Catedral and the other limestone spires north-west of Mont Buet (I forget the name of the refuge to the west of Le Catedral and don't have my map handy), up Buet via the spicy north ridge and then down towards the refuge in the Berard valley, OR miss out on Buet and head east to Cheval Blanc and the dinosaur footprints, then down to the Chalets de Loriaz via either the Col de la Terrasse or the Gorges de Veudale, then back to Chamonix via either the Col des Montets or up over the Tete de Balme.

There are various refuges and bivouacs along the way, you could drag the route out for over a week, or you could jog it in a long day.

gooberman-hill 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Doghouse:

Tour de Ruan - start either at le Buet or Emosson. 3 days taking it a great loop 

https://www.cicerone.co.uk/the-tour-du-ruan-unknown-to-all-but-a-few

Steve

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...